Men’s soccer kicked out of tournament by North Park, 4-1

The Washington University men’s soccer team was eliminated from the NCAA tournament with a 4-1 first-round loss to North Park University on Saturday afternoon in Dubuque, Iowa.

North Park controlled most of the action in the first half of the game as it collected the game’s first eight shots and didn’t let the Bears get much going until about halfway through the first frame. The Vikings put the first goal on the scoreboard in the 32nd minute as a long cross down the field was kicked past junior goalie Jonathan Jebson near the top of the box. The Bears picked up their play after that first goal, getting more time in the North Park end and picking up some higher-quality chances, but it was North Park that got the second goal on a free kick with two seconds before the first half ended.

The Vikings increased their lead to 3-0 about five minutes into the second half on a goal that bounced off of a Wash. U. defender and past Jebson into the net. Wash. U. found its way onto the board halfway through the second half when freshman David Alemany tallied his second goal of the season. But after a great chance for Wash. U. to close the gap with about five minutes left in the game, North Park countered and scored its fourth goal of the game on a breakaway to ice the victory.

Wash. U. was outshot 21-10 on the day, including 12-2 in shots on goal. Jebson made six saves before being removed in the final five minutes for senior David Wilson, who made a save on a header with about three minutes left.

The Bears end the season at 10-5-2 and are co-champions of the University Athletic Association for the second straight season.