Basketball teams look to maintain undefeated records

As conference season approaches, both the Washington University men’s and women’s basketball teams hope to remain unbeaten as they finish their nonconference schedules over the next month. The No. 3 men are undefeated with a sparkling 9-0 record, and the No. 5 women have blown teams out both at home and on the road to reach a perfect 7-0 mark.

With several games to go before players can return home for their brief winter breaks, each squad has a chance to head into conference play in 2015 with flawless records.

Senior point guard David Fatoki drives against Trinity University (Texas) in the Bears’ 79-77 win in the Field House on Dec. 6. Fatoki scored 15 points and tallied nine assists as the Red and Green eked out a last-minute victory to stay undefeated.

Men:

With a high-octane offense, the men’s team has won its games by an average of 14.8 points. The Bears have shot a scorching 49.5 percent from the field, which ranks in the top 30 in Division III and has led to 79.2 points per game. Despite the high average margin of victory, the Red and Green had to sweat out a 73-69 win against No. 18 Wheaton Çollege on the road, and they won their last game against winless Trinity University (Texas), 79-77, with a last-minute jumper at the Field House on Saturday.

Key Players: Matt Palucki and David Fatoki

Senior forward Matt Palucki is the heart of the Wash. U. squad, especially statistically. He leads the team in several categories, with per game stats through the first eight contests of 18.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 31.6 minutes—all tops for the Red and Green. He notched a season-high 28 points in the battle with Trinity over the weekend, earning United Athletic Association Athlete of the Week honors.

Senior point guard David Fatoki earned his spot on the Lopata Classic All-Tournament team last weekend as he averaged 13 points and 7.5 assists per game and did not commit a single turnover. Fatoki’s efficient shooting (50 percent field-goal percentage) and 3.22 assist-to-turnover ratio have exemplified the senior leadership that is vitally important to the team.

“Even more [important] than chemistry is leadership,” head coach Mark Edwards said. “The kids who have been there know what its like, they know how to keep their poise, they know how to win ballgames and they are passing it on to the younger players.”

Upcoming Game: vs. No. 5 Illinois Wesleyan University on Saturday, Dec. 13.

Illinois Wesleyan boasts a top-notch defense and a diverse offense, with four players whose points per game averages are in double digits. A long-time regional rival, the Titans trounced the Bears in last year’s early December battle by a score of 98-73. Wash. U. will have a chance to extend its unbeaten streak and prove itself worthy of a high national ranking with a home game the team hopes will serve as a diversion from the grind of finals.

“[IWU] is a top rival outside of the conference, and every year this is a major game,” Edwards said. “It will be exciting basketball…and I think [if fans come out in support], it would really help us, and I think they would have fun.”

Women:

The women’s team boasts not only an undefeated record but also a massive average margin of victory of 29 points per game. While their repeated blowouts—the team has not won by fewer than 23 points yet this season—may indicate some weakness in the quality of the opposition in the early part of the season, the Bears also crushed their lone ranked opponent, No. 22 Illinois Wesleyan, with an 82-59 come-from-behind victory. The Red and Green have recorded these blowouts in part to a stingy defense that has served as a catalyst for the offense, as the Bears have allowed just 48.3 points per game.

The blowouts have also allowed head coach Nancy Fahey to insert less-experienced bench players into the game to get seasoning that will be vital when the competition gets stiffer in conference play and when the opportunity for larger roles in future years presents itself.

“Your respect for every opponent is still there,” Fahey said. “When we have opportunities where people can develop, we like to do that, and I’m excited about that aspect.”

Key Players: Melissa Gilkey and Maddy Scheppers

Senior forward Gilkey has taken another step in leading the Bears to victory after victory. Like Palucki on the men’s side, Gilkey holds the lead in several statistical categories such as points (19.3) and rebounds (8.9) per game, even in limited minutes during blowout victories. Her impressive efficiency, though, is where she has shown her growth from past years, as her 56.7 field-goal and 90.6 free-throw percentages are both career highs.

Gilkey will be the focus of every defense’s game plan as the season progresses into conference play and the NCAA tournament, and it will be up to the Bears to find ways to spread out their attack as the season goes along.

As a perimeter threat, senior guard Maddy Scheppers provides an effective contrast to Gilkey’s post play. Scheppers is shooting 42.3 percent from behind the arc, and her five three-pointers were instrumental in the Bears’ come-from-behind victory against Illinois Wesleyan. By scoring 9 points per game, Scheppers is also the second-highest scorer on the team to go along with 2.1 assists and 2 steals per game.

Upcoming Game: vs. Millikin University on Saturday, Dec. 13

While Millikin may not be a ranked foe, the Big Blue lead all of Division III with a 49.9 field-goal shooting percentage, and the team is riding a six-game winning streak. If the Bears hope to stay unbeaten, they must continue their tenacious defense. In a matchup between the two teams last season, Wash. U. defeated Millikin 69-53, and now the Bears will have an opportunity to remain undefeated.

“Your plan is from the very beginning getting better every practice and every game,” Fahey said. “We’re pleased with where we are, but we know there’s a lot more to be done.”