Football loses playoff game against Franklin College

| Managing Editor

With temperatures below freezing level on a windy Saturday afternoon, the Washington University football team fell short to Franklin College 17-10 after Grizzlies’ quarterback Jonny West threw a 35-yard, game-winning touchdown pass with less than a minute left in the game.

Despite giving up a touchdown early in the second quarter, the Bears responded at the end of the half on sophomore kicker Alex Hallwachs’ 30-yard field goal. Converting on only one of its eight third-down attempts, Wash. U. struggled to move the chains in the first half as senior quarterback Eric Daginella connected on only five of his 11 attempts for 48 yards and one interception. While the Grizzlies challenged the Bears’ secondary with their aggressive passing attack, racking up 143 yards at the half, Wash. U. adjusted its coverages and improved its pass rush to force inaccurate throws.

In the third quarter, junior linebacker Fade Oluokun forced a fumble deep in Grizzlies’ territory, allowing Daginella to capitalize on the short field position with a touchdown pass to sophomore running back Cody Ratermann for a 10-7 lead. The Red and Green’s inability to keep drives alive throughout the fourth quarter gave Franklin enough time to muster two scoring drives—a 36-yard field goal with less than five minutes left and the game-winning touchdown—and end Wash. U.’s playoff journey.

See Monday’s issue of Student Life for a full recap.

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated the final score as 17-7.

• 12345

The numbers in your article don’t add up. How do you score a game-winning touchdown pass in the final minute, if the final score is 17-7? Further down you say they had a 10-7 lead after the 3rd quarter. You also said that Wash U scored a field goal and a TD, giving us a total of …. 7 points?

nice try Derek.