Softball stumbles through series against Case Western

Frank Yang | Staff Reporter

After a successful two-game outing at Greenville University, the Washington University softball team suffered three losses against Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH, before salvaging the final game of the set, 3-0.

Wash. U. got off to a good start in the series opener Friday, with sophomore center fielder Amy Walsh leading off with a triple off of opposing pitcher Ilissa Hamilton and managing to convert a run.

Case Western swung back, however, and scored a run in the third and the sixth inning to eventually win the game, while the Bears were no-hit over the final 5.1 frames, drawing just a single walk in that span.

Maggie Clapp winds up to pitch against Emory University April 6. Clapp hit her first career home run against Case Western this weekend, and pitched a shutout in the next game.Grace Bruton | Student Life

Maggie Clapp winds up to pitch against Emory University April 6. Clapp hit her first career home run against Case Western this weekend, and pitched a shutout in the next game.

Game two was a more one-sided affair, with Case Western jumping to a four-run lead in the first inning, which compounded to seven by the fourth. Wash. U. answered with a run in the sixth, but it was too late to mount any serious comeback.

After providing the Bears biggest offensive spark in the first game, Walsh was kept quiet in game two. The Spartans shutting down Walsh may have had something to do with Wash. U.’s inability to score; the opposition held Walsh to an 0-for-4 day for the first time since March 12, and as a result the Wash. U. could never establish an offensive rhythm.

Despite the poor result, freshman left fielder Natasha Ramakrishnan went 3-for-3, with junior shortstop Taylor Arends adding two hits.

The Saturday matinee was more of the same, with Case Western reaching double digits in an 11-3 win over the Bears. The brightest moment for Wash. U. came in the top of the third inning, with senior first baseman Maggie Clapp homering to tie the game up 3-3—the first home run of her career.

Wash. U. returned to form in the finale, with Clapp taking to the mound to pitch seven straight shutout innings. Clapp, along with Arends and Walsh, scored a run to end the game with a 3-0 win. Arends hit a triple during the game, propelling her to fourth all-time in career triples for the Bears.

Overall, the Red and Green have had an up and down season this year. They stand at 9-13 and 1-7 in the UAA.