Baseball and softball struggle against Emory

Dorian DeBose | Senior Sports Editor

The Washington University baseball and softball teams had rough outings this weekend as both teams dropped their series against Emory University.

On Friday evening, the baseball Bears kicked off the series against Emory. Senior Auggie Mense and sophomore Thomas Gardner led the team with their performances, going 2-for-4 at the plate. Despite their performances, the team wasn’t able to get the win. The Bears suffered six unforced errors which led to four runs allowed. This was the difference, as the team fell, 3-6.

John Ostrander bats against Buena Vista on March 4. Ostrander assisted in the Bears' first run against Emory this past weekend with a single in the first game.Grace Bruton | Student Life

John Ostrander bats against Buena Vista on March 4. Ostrander assisted in the Bears’ first run against Emory this past weekend with a single in the first game.

Following up their effort on Saturday, the baseball team had a number of impressive performances, but once again came up short. Sophomore John Brinkman totaled three hits on the day. Gardner and sophomore John Ostrander both managed two hits on the day. In the bottom of the eight with two outs, down 1-6, freshman Johnny LaMantia blasted home a Grand Slam to bring the score to 5-6. Emory batted in two runs in the ninth and this wound up being the difference, as the Bears fell 6-8.

The series ended on Sunday with a double header. The Bears exploded for 11 runs in game one. The Bears put pressure on Emory early and often, scoring in the first five innings. After Mense hit in LaMantia and Brinkman hit in Mense and sophomore AJ Dunham in the fifth, the Bears held a commanding 7-2 lead. The teams exchanged runs for the rest of the game, but Emory failed to close the gap and the bears triumphed, 11-7. Despite hitting at will in the morning, the Bears were kept to four hits in the afternoon. The Bears fell 0-4 in the second game. On the day, Mense’s presence was immense. He finished the day 4-for-8 at the plate with four runs, two RBIs, two walks and two stolen bases.

The baseball team dropped the series 3-1. The Bears leave the weekend with a 4-4 record in conference play and a 15-12 record overall.

The softball team also kicked off play Friday. Hits were scarce in game one of an afternoon double header. Senior Maggie Clapp and sophomore Amy Walsh each had a hit, but they were the only Bears to register hits in the game. On the other side, Emory found scoring difficult in the game as well, scoring once in the third. In a defensive slog, this was enough as they took game one, 1-0.

The latter game saw more scoring. Clapp was 2-of-3 on the game and scored on a run batted in by senior Hera Tang. That run gave the bear’s a brief lead. Emory tied the game in the fifth then took the lead in the sixth. Emory didn’t look back after that, scoring two more runs. The Bears dropped game two, 1-4.

Pitcher Maggie Clapp throws the ball to an Emory hitter. Clapp scored one of the Bears' runs in their second game against Emory this weekend.Grace Bruton | Student Life

Pitcher Maggie Clapp throws the ball to an Emory hitter. Clapp scored one of the Bears’ runs in their second game against Emory this weekend.

Saturday’s doubleheader also did not go the Bear’s way, either. A series of errors allowed for Emory to gain five unearned runs in the third. Emory continued to dominate, scoring four more runs in the fourth. The Bears managed to notch two hits in the game. The game ended mercifully in the fifth inning.

The second game was a more tightly contested affair. Emory scored in the second and third innings to give them a 0-2 lead. The Bears answered back in the third. Tang punctuated a 2-run inning with an RBI double to the right with two outs. The score remained level until the sixth. Emory knocked in a homerun to give them a 1-run lead. Another run in the seventh gave the team 2-4 lead, where the game would end.

Emory softball extended their winning streak to 10 games and remains undefeated in UAA play. Wash. U fell to 6-10 on the year and 0-4 in UAA play.

The softball team continues their season on Thursday against Greenville University, the first of a 10-game road stand. Baseball will resume play Friday at Illinois-Wesleyan.