Men’s track and field claims UAA Indoor title, women place second

The Washington University men’s track and field team clinched its 16th UAA title at the conference indoor championships this weekend at Case Western Reserve University. The women, meanwhile, finished second to the University of Chicago.

The Bears men snagged 120 points to top Carnegie Mellon University’s 106. No other team totaled even 70 points. Two Bears won event titles: sophomore Nick Matteucci, with a personal-best 4:13.28 time in the one-mile and junior Tim Goblirsch, with a 4.36-meter height in the pole vault. Eight Wash. U. men received all-UAA honors.

Two members of the Bears’ relay team hand off the baton during the Washington University Invite. This weekend, the women’s track team finished second,falling to University of Chicago.Skyler Kessler | Student Life

Two members of the Bears’ relay team hand off the baton during the Washington University Invite. This weekend, the women’s track team finished second,falling to University of Chicago.

The women actually scored more points than their Red and Green counterparts, 129, but their competition’s rankings were also more top-heavy. While six men’s UAA teams finished above 55 points, four women’s squads managed fewer than 42. That imbalance led to three teams over 100 points, including Wash. U., which fell short of Chicago’s 138.

Three women won individual titles—senior Annalise Wagner, who ran a career-best 2:11.78 in the 800-meter race, sophomore Paige Lawler, with a 7:20.42 mark in the 5,000-meter, and freshman Julia Dannenbaum, who match Goblirsch’s pole vault title with a 3.77-meter height of her own. Ten total Wash. U. women were honored as all-conference recipients.

For both teams, it’s one more tune-up before the NCAA Indoor Championships the first weekend of spring break in Birmingham, Ala.