Men’s soccer wraps up 2017 campaign with 2-1 loss at No. 11 Chicago

Frank Yang | Staff Reporter

After an hour-long lightning delay, the Washington University men’s soccer team finished its season with a 2-1 loss to No. 11 University of Chicago Saturday.

Needing to win to keep any postseason hopes alive, the Red and Green started with a typical lineup comprised of most of the regular starters that head coach Joe Clarke has relied on this campaign. For most, it was going to be their final match as a Bear, and all of them wanted to go out with a win.

DSC_1717 copyCece Heard | Student Life

The Bears gave up a lot of ground to Chicago early: Within seven minutes, Wash. U. had already conceded three corner kicks. After pressing for an extended amount of time, Chicago found its opening, which lead to a headed goal and a quick 1-0 lead. Wash. U. found itself struggling under the offensive pressure, and could not produce any solid chances in the first half. The Maroons continued to pile on the pressure, scoring its second goal of the game in the 32nd minute. Going into halftime, Wash. U. was two goals behind, and looked shaky both defensively and offensively.

After some halftime adjustments, Wash. U. came out looking more confident and composed. The Bears imposed some pressure of their own, taking more chances than they did earlier. Sophomore midfielder Makio Yamamoto forced a save from the opposition keeper, while senior forward Kevin Maedomari had a pair of chances around the 62nd minute, and forced a block and a save from Chicago defenders.

The Red and Green finally ended the shutout in the 85th minute, with senior back Andrew Zingone heading in his first goal of the season and final of his career. But it was too late for any serious comeback, and the game finished 2-1 in favor of Chicago.

Wash. U. was outshot 8-4 in the first half, but rebounded excellently, outshooting Chicago 8-5 in the second. With this defeat, the Red and Green finished their season 7-7-2 record, and said goodbye to Shadi Awad, Anthony Law, Colin McCune, Chris Rieger, Zach Virgilio, Maedomari and Zingone, who will be graduating in the spring.

In all, though they failed to qualify for the playoffs and fell off late, going 1-1-7 down the stretch, the Bears can still be proud of their effort, especially considering the amount of new talent that was integrated this year. The Red and Green have shown they are capable through their strong start to the season, but they still need time to gel. The Bears will look to progress next fall.