A casual fan’s guide to the Super Bowl

Sports Staff

In case you’ve been too caught up in the hustle and bustle of a new semester to notice, Super Bowl XLIX will be played on Sunday between the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots in Glendale, Ariz. While those of us on the Student Life Sports staff have fanatically counted down the days until Super Bowl Sunday, we acknowledge that the Super Bowl is the only game of the year that many people watch. For those of you who fall into that category, we’ve listed five important questions that many viewers may find themselves too embarrassed to ask their die-hard sports friends.

Green Bay Packers at Seattle SeahawksDean Rutz | Seattle Times | TNS

Why is there controversy surrounding the Patriots’ last playoff win? What is Deflate-gate?

The Patriots have a history of bending the rules to win games. In 2007, they were fined for videotaping the hand signals of the Jets’ defensive coaches during a practice. This led to reports that the Patriots had been videotaping other teams since 2000, including their Super Bowl XXXVI opponents, the St. Louis Rams. Most recently, the Patriots have been accused of deflating 11 of 12 game balls to a pressure 2 pounds per square inch below the NFL guidelines in their 45-7 win against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game. The NFL is currently investigating the allegations, and coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady have denied any involvement with the under-inflated balls. It appears, however, that any potential punishments will not happen until after the Super Bowl. ­­­—Weber Gaowen

What is the significance of Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll coaching against the Patriots?

Carroll was hired as the head coach of the Patriots in 1997, leading New England to two playoff appearances and a combined 27-21 record before being fired in 1999. Current Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was hired as his replacement, and it appears that the two coaches couldn’t be anymore different. On one hand, the fun-loving Carroll is seen as a players’ coach who pulls pranks on his players. On the other hand, Belichick is well known for his stoic demeanor and keeping his players on a tight leash when it comes to talking to the media. However, both coaches have had similar success stories as Belichick also struggled in his first stint as head coach of the Cleveland Browns until 1995, when he was fired after four seasons for posting a substandard 36-44 record. Now, the two differing personalities face off against each other with a Super Bowl ring on the line. ­­­—Nick Kauzlarich

Indianapolis Colts at New England PatriotsJohn Woike | Hartford Courant | TNS

If Tom Brady wins, does that mean he is the best quarterback of all time?

Possibly. For many, Brady will be considered the best quarterback in NFL history if he wins on Sunday, but for others, it’s not as clear-cut. He’s a three-time Super Bowl Champion and a two-time NFL MVP. He arguably had the best season ever by any quarterback in 2007 as he led the Patriots to a perfect regular-season record by throwing for 4,806 yards and a then-record 50 touchdown passes. But what’s most impressive about Brady is his 20 playoff victories, which is already four more than any other quarterback in NFL history. The only tarnish on Brady’s resume is his two Super Bowl losses to the Giants in the 2007 and 2011 seasons. But he can fix that by winning this Super Bowl, which will put him in the same category as Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, who both won four Super Bowl titles. —Derek Shyr

What is a Gronk spike?

Rob Gronkowski is the party-loving, ridiculously athletic tight end for the New England Patriots. If you get the chance to see him score a touchdown this weekend, you will also see him hurl the football into the ground for his patented “Gronk Spike.” A Gronk Spike is just like a regular spike, only much harder. In 2011, Gronkowski’s celebratory throw was measured at 650 pounds of force. By comparison, a hockey check into the boards in the NHL clocks in at 500 pounds, or 0.77 Gronk Spikes. The ceremony adored by Patriots fans even has its own entry in Urban Dictionary, which lists the celebratory move in part as “the action of forcing an object (usually a football) into the ground with tremendous force as a way of celebration.” —Aaron Brezel

Why do the announcers keep talking about Marshawn Lynch’s interviews?

Yeah.
Thanks for the question, boss.
He’s thankful.
Really, he’s just there so he doesn’t get fined.
You know why he’s there.

–Zach Kram