This weekend in Wash. U. sports

Men’s basketball clinches UAA title

The Washington University men’s basketball team locked up its third consecutive University Athletic Association title with a pair of victories over Brandeis University and New York University over the weekend.

The Bears hold a four-game lead over second-place Emory University with three games remaining, making Wash. U. the first team in conference history to win three consecutive titles.

The Red and Green’s offensive efficiency propelled them to the two victories as they shot 56.4 percent from the field over the weekend.

On Friday, Brandeis jumped out to a seven-point lead about 10 minutes into the first half, but a 12-2 run late in the first half gave the Red and Green a 48-38 lead into the break behind double-digit scoring from seniors Alan Aboona and Chris Klimek and junior Matt Palucki. The lead ballooned to as large as 20 midway through the second half before Wash. U. closed out the 95-82 win.

Sunday’s contest with NYU was closer, with seven ties and six lead changes, but Aboona took over in the second half with 19 of his game-high 29 points. After an NYU layup tied the game at 66 with 4:43 remaining, Aboona scored nine of the Bears’ last 13 points to seal the 79-75 win.

Women’s basketball takes commanding conference lead

The women’s basketball team holds a two-game lead with three games remaining in UAA play after double-digit wins over Brandeis and NYU over the weekend.

Friday’s 61-51 win over Brandeis was ugly by several standards. The Bears shot 22.6 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from the free-throw line in the first half. They had nine turnovers in the second half, and Brandeis committed 26 fouls overall.

However, junior Maddy Scheppers scored 11 of her 16 points in the second half and pulled down 10 rebounds, and Wash. U. pulled away midway through the second half with an 18-5 run to turn a tie into a 13-point lead with 3:09 to play.

Sunday’s highly anticipated top-25 showdown with NYU turned into a laugher by halftime. The Violets shot just 22.2 percent from the field, including 18.2 percent from behind the three-point line, while the Bears shot 47.1 percent from the field and drained five three-pointers. The Red and Green held a 37-19 lead at the half without shooting a single free throw.

Wash. U. coasted to the finish for a 73-46 victory that put the team in firm control of its own destiny in the UAA standings.

Swimming-and-diving records 10 school records, 41 B-cuts at UAAs

The men’s and women’s swimming-and-diving teams overcame weather problems to find success at the UAA Championships in Atlanta.

Snowfall in Atlanta caused travel issues for teams, leading three to travel to Cleveland for a satellite meet Saturday and Sunday. As a result, final team scoring will not be tabulated until Monday.

That didn’t stop the Wash. U. swimmers from recording some strong performances.

Freshman Michael Lagieski broke the school record in the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 54.42, good for an automatic qualification to the NCAA Championships.

The Bears broke nine more records over the two days of the meet and added 41 B-cuts, which will be considered for NCAA berths.

Brodeur sets school record in mile

Freshman Ethan Brodeur ran the mile in 4:12.07 Friday at the Grand Valley State University Big Meet, 3.13 seconds faster than the previous school-record held by Dave Spandorfer. Brodeur’s time is the 20th best in NCAA Division III this season.

Junior Lucy Cheadle and sophomore Emily Warner also competed in the GVSU Big Meet, with each setting season-best times. Cheadle’s time of 17:05.71 in the 5,000-meter race is the fifth-best in Division III this season, while Warner’s time of 2:13.31 in the 800 was the 10th-fastest in Division III this season.

The rest of the track-and-field teams competed at the Fighting Scots Invitational at Monmouth College Saturday, with the women’s side collecting two event wins.

Senior Anna Etherington posted a season-best pole vault of 3.91 meters to win the women’s event. The jump is the second-best in Division III this season.

Senior Lizzy Handschy won the 3,000 in 10:31.85, a new career best.