Sports siblings: Wash. U. edition

| Managing Editor
Nathaniel Margolies | Student Life

Alex Hoover looks to drive past a defender against the University of Rochester on January 16, 2011. Hoover ended her Wash. U. career as the school’s all-time leader in assists.

Just in case you haven’t heard the firestorm of laughably bad puns the national media has bandied around the past week and a half, the Harbaugh brothers are facing off in the Super Bowl. Every media outlet worth anything has or will release a heart-warming story of the siblings growing up together, playing on the same teams and staying in constant communication when apart. While no Wash. U. siblings have quite reached the Super Bowl, there have been several groups of siblings that have played together and performed well for the Red and Green over the years. Here are the top five of a stellar list of student-athletes.

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order): Chris and Chestra Becker, Kerry and Kathy Fagan, Jonathan and Peter Jebson, Gregg and Scott Kennedy, Phill and Jeff Stoecker.

5) Chris and Trevor LaBarge—football

What a story for Chris and Trevor LaBarge. Each played a year of football at the Division I level (Chris at Drake University, Trevor at the University of Colorado) before finding their way back to their home city of St. Louis and reuniting on the football field. Trevor actually spent 2010 playing for University Athletic Association rival Case Western Reserve University and ran for a career-high 119 yards against the Bears. He transferred to Wash. U. for the 2011 season, and the two brothers were able to play two years together to close out their football careers. Chris, the elder of the two, recorded 45 tackles before his final year was cut short by a season-ending injury. Trevor made the All-UAA team each season he played in the conference; he was on the second-team in 2010 and 2011 as the fullback and made the first-team this past season. Trevor was also the team’s second leading receiver this season, catching 26 passes for 285 yards.

4) Dan, Kevin, Pat and Robert McCarthy —football

The McCarthy quartet excelled on and off the football field in the mid 2000’s. Dan was the oldest and was the only brother to play on the defensive side of the ball. He graduated in 2002 after winning the football team’s WU Old Bear Award. Kevin, a running back, came next and was named to the second-team All-UAA in 2004. He accumulated 1,094 yards rushing. Pat, a quarterback, still holds the school record for career completion percentage at 61.4% and was an honorable mention All-UAA selection in 2006. He also won the WU Old Bear Award in 2006. His twin brother Robert played wide receiver and was the top-ranked student in chemical engineering in his graduating class. He had five catches for 22 yards and a touchdown in his career.

3) Adam and Ross Putterman—men’s tennis

Just kidding. They aren’t actually related. But if they were, the two would be near the top of this list. Adam was named an All-American in singles last year, and he teamed up with Ross to earn All-America honors in doubles. Adam, a senior from Houston, Texas, put up a 56-16 overall record last year at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles, and Ross, a sophomore from Vernon Hills, Ill., kept pace with 43-23 at No. 2 singles and No. 1 doubles. The pair paced the men’s tennis team to an upset of top-ranked and previously unbeated Amherst College at last year’s NCAA Championships and a fourth-place overall finish.

Ben Gottesdiener | Student Life

Senior Adam Putterman (background) begins his serve as sophomore Ross Putterman (foreground) prepares for the next point. The Puttermans, no relation, were 24-10 in doubles last season, including 4-1 in the NCAA tournament.

2) Aaron and John Keen—football

The name ‘Keen’ appears 20 times in the Wash. U. football record book. Aaron was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Bears and was an honorable mention All-American in 1991 and 1993. He was named All-UAA in 1991 (first-team) and 1993 (second-team). Aaron holds the UAA record for completion percentage in a season (.683, 1991), is second all-time in passing yards for Wash. U. (4,329) and has the team record for most passing yards in a game (411 vs. Trinity University in 1992). John also was named All-UAA twice (second-team in 1992, first-team in 1993) as a tight end. The brothers were named co-team MVP in 1993, and both went on to serve as assistant coaches for head coach Larry Kindbom. On Jan. 9, Aaron was named the interim head coach at NCAA Division II Minnesota State University. John is currently an attorney in the greater Denver area.

1) Alex and Dani Hoover—women’s basketball

If you thought 20 mentions for ‘Keen’ was a lot, you’ve got another thing coming. ‘Hoover’ is in the women’s basketball record book a whopping 32 times. Alex, the elder of the pair, was named to four All-UAA teams (including the first team twice), while Dani made two (first team once in 2011). Dani was also an Elite 88 winner her junior year. Each sister was named to an All-Region team. Alex is the school’s all-time leader in assists with 442, third all-time in career 3-point percentage at 40.0 and second all-time in career free-throw percentage at 82.6. Both are in the top-10 in single-season free-throw percentage (Alex fourth at 83.9% in 2009-10, Dani seventh at 83.3% in 2011-12). On top of that, the pair played roles on the women’s basketball team that won the 2010 national championship, as well as on teams that were runner-up in 2009 and 2011. The pair graduated as the most decorated sibling duo in Wash. U. history.

• Alum

Don’t forget about Elie and Nat Zenner.