By the numbers: Obscure stats from the break

Ben Gottesdiener | Student Life Newspaper

Senior Kevin Lind conducts a run-up during a pole vault attempt at last year’s WUSTL Invitiational held on March 30. The Bears competed in the Terre Haute Double Dual on Saturday.

While Alan Aboona’s jaw-dropping performance from behind the arc on Jan. 11 was almost certainly the most noteworthy stat line in the Washington University athletic program since Student Life’s last publication on Dec. 10, it certainly wasn’t the only one that raised some eyebrows. Here are some numbers and achievements from the winter athletic teams.

3.67 meters – junior Anna Etherington’s finals mark in the pole vault in the track and field team’s Terre Haute Double Dual on Saturday. She not only beat all other Division III women’s athletes at the meet but also would have tied for second when compared to the meet’s Division I women’s athletes. (Etherington’s seed height of 4.01 meters, based on her career-best mark set last spring, would have beaten the top D-I mark of 3.82 meters.)

800 – the track and field team swept the top 3 spots in the men’s 800-meter run on Saturday (with sophomore Brendan Stone and freshmen Josh Clark and Britt Henderson finishing first through third, respectively), marking the only time this season that it has done so in any event.

Eric Chalifour | Student Life Newspaper

Sophomore Melissa Gilkey dribbles down the floor against Millikin University on Dec. 5 in a 71-42 win. Gilkey is averaging 16.4 points per game this season, which is second in the University Athletic Association.

Paul Goedeke | Student Life Newspaper

Junior Tim Cooney dribbles outside the 3-point arc during the Washington University men’s basketball team’s 67-57 win over Illinois Wesleyan University on Dec. 2, 2012. Cooney averages 3.7 rebounds per game for the Bears, who lead all of Division III in rebounding margin with an average of 13.4 more than their opponent.

10 – the length of the No. 7 women’s basketball team’s most recent winning streak, which began with an 81-46 win over No. 21 Coe College and was snapped with the team’s 56-48 loss at Rochester on Sunday afternoon. It was the longest streak since the 2009-10 season, during which the Bears had streaks of 13 and 14 consecutive wins (the latter of which culminated in a national championship).

3-1 – the men’s basketball team’s record against top-10 teams in the d3hoops.com poll since the beginning of the 2011-12 season. They beat No. 1 Augustana and No. 4 Emory last season and No. 7 Illinois Wesleyan this season before falling to No. 4 Rochester this past weekend.

Eric Marcus | Student Life Newspaper

Freshman Toireasa Rafferty-Millett swims the 200-freestyle during a meet with Saint Louis University, where she finished fourth. The swim team is coming off a strong showing in the Jan. 11-12 Washington University Invitational.

4 – all four members of the women’s swim and dive team’s winning 200-yard medley relay in Saturday’s WU Invitational had the fastest splits in each respective leg in the relay—junior Chi Pham (28.29 in backstroke), junior Jennifer Tartavull (31.67 in breaststroke), freshman Amanda Stadermann (26.40 in butterfly), and junior Allison Siegel (24.48 in freestyle).

25 – number of events in which the swim and dive team has reached the NCAA ‘B’ cut mark—nine men’s events, 16 women’s events.