Golf team still looking to find its groove

Washington University placed third out of seven teams at the Subway Classic this weekend at Maryville College, but their play has yet to repeat a fall season in which the Bears cracked the national rankings for the first time in program history.

The Bears posted a score of 353 in weather described by senior co-captain Kris Zeschin as “probably the worst conditions we’ve ever played in, between the cold and the rain and the course getting soggy.”

The weather cleared up on Monday, and the Bears brought their number down to 341, but the course was still damaged from the rain.

The 694 total put them behind Division II University of Missouri-St. Louis and host Maryville University. They beat out Lindenwood University (364-345, 709), McKendree University (389-373, 762), Des Moines Area Community College (387-380, 767) and Quincy University (389-381, 770).

Freshman Melanie Walsh led the way for the Red and Green. She shot an 86 on Day One and improved three strokes on Day Two to finish in sixth place. Walsh was the only Wash. U. player to break 90 in both rounds.

Her classmate, Hannah Buck, came in as the team’s next best scorer with a nine-stroke improvement from day one to day two for a 175 total, in 10th place. While her first round score of 92 was the team high for the day and wasn’t counted, her second round 83 matched Walsh for the team’s lowest 18-hole score of the weekend.

Zeschin, who struggled at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational over spring break, rebounded with a 177. The scores brought her back to around her average numbers for her career and were low enough to tie for 11th place in the 42-golfer field.

Junior co-captain Kate Pettinato shot a 178 for 13th place, and sophomore Katie Homa was one stroke behind her for 14th place. Wash. U. was the only school to place all five of its group participants in the top-15. Sophomore Sarah Miller, who competed individually, carded a pair of 95s for 25th place.

The results from the Aberdeen Country Club in nearby Eureka, Mo. are an improvement from the tough trip to Florida the other week, where the Bears failed to post a score under 380.

“We improved from our last tournament and we improved in this tournament, so we’re definitely on the right track and we’ll get there,” Zeschin said.

“We have to work on our fundamentals a little bit more,” Walsh said. Like her captain though, she finished by saying “We’re close.”

The Bears will continue this weekend at the Northern Kentucky University Invitational in hopes of qualifying for their first NCAA national championship appearance in program history.