Wash. U. organizes women’s basketball fan bus

Washington University students can sign up for a free road trip to Bloomington, Ill., to cheer on the No. 6 women’s basketball team at the NCAA Division III national semifinals against the top-ranked and undefeated Lord Jeffs of Amherst College on Friday. The Lord Jeffs are carrying a 31-game winning streak into the semifinals. The other teams competing in the second semifinal game, and potential Wash. U. opponents, are University Athletic Association foe University of Rochester and No. 4 Hope College.

The Bears are guaranteed to play two games this weekend. If the Bears fall to the Lord Jeffs on Friday, the third-place game is at 11 a.m. Saturday.

The fan bus is scheduled to depart at noon on Friday from the Clocktower. Students interested in making the trip should leave a $20 deposit at the Office of Residential Life in Nemerov House by noon on Thursday. The money will be returned once students board the bus.

Washington University is paying for the transportation, housing and tickets to the game for students who participate. Students who are driving themselves can also get tickets and accommodations through Wash. U. by contacting Pat Nichols in the Office of Residential Life at 314-935-5050.

Those who are concerned about missing Relay For Life need not worry. According to Erin Blecha, coordinator of marketing and promotions, and external relations, the latest the bus would return is at 8 p.m. on Saturday evening. Relay For Life kicks off at 6 p.m. and the scheduled return time assumes the Lady Bears play in the national championship game at 2 p.m.

Relay For Life members see no problem with participants arriving late on Saturday. “We welcome, and encourage, anyone to attend at any time,” senior Jeffrey Knisley, co-chair of the Relay Steering Committee, wrote in an e-mail. According to Knisley, to receive their wristbands, participants will just need to register at the gate when they return. Visitors can also come at any time after paying the $10 entrance fee.

In recent years, Wash. U. has organized fan buses for the Division III women’s soccer championships in San Antonio, Texas, in 2009; for the Division III men’s basketball championships in Salem, Va., in 2008 and 2009; and the Division III women’s basketball championships in Holland, Mich., in 2009.

• wu fan

Fan bus for Salem 08 was the best thing I did in college.. Definitely something all wu students should do before graduating