Matches you missed: spring break women’s tennis recap

The No. 14 Washington University women’s tennis team had three decisive victories in spring break matches in Hilton Head, S.C. and Savannah Ga. but dropped one match to Division II foe Armstrong Atlantic.

Wash. U. 8, Sewanee 1

A sweep of doubles matches punctuated the Wash. U.  defeat of the No. 27 Tigers. At first doubles, freshman Kate Klein and junior Karina Kocemba took a 9-8 victory over Julia Wood and Jenny Liles. Both the second team of senior Allison Dender and sophomore Natalie Tingir and third team of juniors Kalee Cassady and Elise Sambol went on to claim 8-4 wins.

Klein, playing singles for the first time this year, led the singles charge with a straight set victory over Liles in first singles, winning 6-4, 6-4. The Bears took five of six singles matches for the day with wins at the two, three, four and six singles slots.

Wash. U. 7, Baldwin-Wallace College 1

The Bears claimed their second straight sweep of doubles play in the victory over the Yellowjackets. Klein and Kocemba took first doubles once again with an 8-4 defeat of Caitlyn Pecinovsky and Rebecca Mittler. Tingir and Dender were also winners in their singles flights, 8-4 and 8-3, respectively. At no. 3 doubles, senior Grace Fox and freshman Paige Madara defeated Essig and Katy Marshall, 8-2.

The first singles match between Kocemba and Pecinovsky went unfinished. Other scoring came from juniors Cassady and Sambol, who took the fourth and fifth singles matches, respectively.

Armstrong Atlantic 8, Wash. U. 1

On Tuesday, both the men’s and women’s squads took on Armstrong, the top ranked team in NCAA Division II. The Pirates victory over the Bears brought their record to 12-0 for the year and marked their 30th consecutive win.

The Pirates swept doubles play for the day; the closest match for the Bears was an 8-6 loss by Tingir and Dender to Tina Ronel and Kathleen Henry at third doubles. Tingir claimed the team’s only point for the day with a 6-4, 2-6, 10-8 defeat of Ronel in third singles.

Wash U. 8, Kenyon College 1

The Bears rebounded from their loss on Wednesday with a defeat of the Lords. The team earned two victories in doubles play, with Tingir and Dender taking second doubles 8-5 over Eve Ceja and Amanda Polster while Cassady and Sambol were winners at third doubles  8-2 over Lydia Winkler and Erin Ivanoff.

The Bears ended the match convincingly with a sweep of singles play.

Washington University (4-3) returns to St. Louis for a home match against Graceland University on March 20.