Sports briefs | March 1, 2010

| Managing Editor

Bears dominate Principia Invite
Fresh off a second place finish at the National Indoor Championships, the Washington University men’s tennis team took four of seven singles flights at the Principia College Invitational II and all three doubles flights.

The tournament provided valuable playing time for the Wash. U. reserves and younger players, and the success at Principia highlighted the depth of the team. Freshman Gary Parizher took first singles 10-8 in the final set to win the draw. Junior David Zhu, senior Corey Yealy and freshman Seth Sankary also won the fifth, sixth and seventh singles draws respectively.

In doubles, sophomores Cameron Chiang and Dushyanth Srinivasan took the first doubles flight, Sankary and Yealy won at second doubles, and Zhu and Parizher completed the doubles sweep with the third flight doubles title.

Chiang and senior Slavi Fildish lost in the semi-finals of the second and third singles draws while Srinivasan fell in the fourth singles final. Both Chiang and Srinivasan fell in tiebreakers after splitting the first two sets.

The No. 3 Bears continue the spring season Saturday, March 6 at the University of the South before traveling to Hilton Head, SC for matches over spring break. (Josh Goldman)