Female Athlete of the Week: Janice Evans

(Matt Mitgang | Sttudent Life)

Senior Janice Evans passes the ball around a defender. Evans will be honored on Friday at Senior Night before the game. (Matt Mitgang | Student Life)

The No. 6 Washington University women’s basketball team is on top of the University Athletic Association conference with a 20-2 record (10-1 UAA), and the team’s seniors have provided veteran leadership that has played a huge part in the team’s success. One of these seniors, forward and co-captain Janice Evans, is coming off of a strong effort against New York University in which she scored 14 points and helped the Bears pull away in the second half. With the team’s seniors to be honored before Friday’s game for Senior Night, Evans has been named Student Life’s Female Athlete of the Week.

Student Life: What did you think about the New York University game, especially in the second half, and about how you guys are playing right now?
Janice Evans: We’re playing a lot better. We had a little rough patch when we hit the road two weekends in a row. Our shots are falling, and we’re getting off to better starts in games.

SL: How does this season, for you, compare to last season, and what kind of added responsibilities do you feel being a captain of this team?
JE: I definitely feel more responsibility for myself and my actions and for my teammates. Basketball-wise, it feels the same. I think we’re doing well. There’s always that sense of urgency seniors feel when they’re in their last year. We just want to win the UAA, get into the tournament, and work our way through there.

SL: You’re one of three seniors (with Stacey Niese and Zoë Unruh) who will be honored this Friday at Senior Night. What has it meant to you to be a part of this team and this group of seniors?
JE: I probably can’t even put it in words. Stacey and Zoë are two of my closest friends here, two of my roommates, and it’s just been a really special time these last four years to share with the two of them. It’s nice that the three of us stuck around, and it’s nice to be able to celebrate what we’ve done here.

SL: What kind of a relationship have you developed with head coach Nancy Fahey over these last four years?
JE: Coach Fahey is like a mom away from home. She looks out for you, keeps you in line if you’re doing something crazy. She’s an excellent mentor and an excellent coach. She’s a really great person outside of basketball. She’s done a lot of great things for people on this team and has helped all of us become strong women.

SL: Are there any pre-game rituals that you have?
JE: In the green room, Hannah Cusworth and I sing these songs, and at the end of one of the songs, we have this little dance-off, and we have to come up with a new dance every game, so I’m running out of ideas. I have to get creative.

Evans and the Bears face Case Western Reserve University at 6 p.m. on Wednesday and Carnegie Mellon at 1 p.m. on Sunday in their last home games of the regular season.