MBA students bring Olympics to Wash. U.

Vancouver may be all abuzz with Winter Olympics fever, but some students at Washington University plan to bring the Olympic spirit to St. Louis.

On Thursday, the Olin Marketing Association (OMA) began a series of programs dubbed the “OLINpics.” OMA is a career club for MBA students whose membership contains 40 percent of the full-time MBA student body.

“It’s primarily an event to help educate the community on marketing and the Olympics,” first-year MBA student and event organizer Jessica Trotter said.

According to OMA’s website, the OLINpics have a three-fold purpose: to educate students on effective marketing strategies, especially those related to competitive advertising; to expose students to popular global pastimes; and to raise money for charity through event proceeds.

Proceeds will be donated to an adventure camp sponsored by Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis. The camp allows children with physical disabilities to enjoy a day camp with sports, fitness, art and other fun activities.

Thursday was the “Kick Off the OLINpics” event in the Knight Center. Students who attended the event could learn about the latest Visa ad campaigns while familiarizing themselves with the rules of curling and other winter sports. Attractions also included a hot wing eating contest, “Wii Sports” competitions, a silent auction and raffles. Additionally, organizers provided attendees with information about which Olympic events and athletes to watch for.

Following the events at the Knight Center, OLINpics hosted a happy hour at Krueger’s Bar and Grill, one of its sponsors.

According to Trotter, the group also plans to host a trivia night at Brandt’s Café on the Loop on Thursday, Feb. 18, from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Teams of five or more and a donation of $10 per team are recommended. A percentage of food and beverage sales will be donated to the camp.

The OLINpics run through Feb. 26 and are open to all members of the Washington University community and the public.