Volleyball: Bears headed to Final Four

The volleyball team advanced to the NCAA National Semifinal against Hope College after defeating Colorado College 3-1 in the quarterfinal on Thursday. (Matt Mitgang | Student Life)

The Washington University women’s volleyball team reached the NCAA Final Four on Thursday afternoon with a win over Colorado College (25-16, 23-25, 25-21, 25-14) at John Carroll University in University Heights, Ohio.

The win put the team two more victories away from its 10th national championship. Senior co-captain Erin Albers and sophomore Lauren Budde both registered 12 kills for the Bears, while four players—Budde, freshman Kelly Pang, senior co-captain Laura Brazeal and freshman Marilee Fisher—all registered double-digit counts in digs. Fisher also tallied 42 assists.

Coach Rich Luenemann reacts after the volleyball team clinched the regional championship. The team defeated Colorado College on Thursday to advance to the Final Four. (Matt Mitgang | Student Life)

The Bears committed only 16 errors in the match for a mark of four errors per set, their best showing in the NCAA tournament.

After controlling the first set and barely losing the second, the turning point for the Bears came in the third set. Trailing from the beginning of the third set, the Bears went on an 11-4 run at the end of the set to take a crucial 2-1 lead in the match. The Bears followed with a dominant fourth set in which they hit .484 as a team with only one error.

Prior to the match, Albers, Pang and Fisher were awarded American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American honors. Pang earned first-team honors and was also named the NCAA Division III Freshman of the Year, while Albers and Fisher both garnered second-team recognition.

Wash. U. faces Hope College at 4:30 p.m. on Friday. Hope advances after a 3-1 victory over Tufts University. Hope handed the Bears their first loss of the year on Sept. 5 with a 3-1 win.

• WU VBall Fan

GO Bears! Good luck Girls – Bring it home!!!