Wash. U. to host NCAA regional play for 2 sports

The Washington University campus will see plenty of NCAA Division III volleyball and women’s soccer postseason action as the Bears host two regionals. Teams must win their match to advance in the NCAA tournament.

Wash. U. volleyball (28-4, 10-1 UAA) plays Webster University in first-round NCAA action at 8 p.m. on Thursday in the Field House. The other regional quarterfinals are No. 21 Nebraska Wesleyan against University of Wisconsin-Platteville at 12:30 p.m., No. 8 Carthage College  versus Simpson College at 3 p.m., and Thomas More College against St. Mary’s University at 5:30 p.m. The regional final is at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Women’s soccer (14-3-1, 5-1-1 UAA), which earned the automatic UAA bid, faces SLIAC conference champion Webster University in the first round of NCAA action at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Francis Field. No. 21 Illinois Wesleyan and Carroll (Wis.) face off at 1:30 p.m. in the other first-round match. The regional championship is at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Webster’s Christy Capkovic is Division III’s leading scorer with 1.765 goals per game.

Undergraduate students have free admission with their Wash. U. IDs. Ticket prices are $6 for adults and $3 for non-Wash. U. students.

Injury update

In an e-mail, co-captain senior Libby Held wrote that everyone on the women’s soccer team is able to practice. Held wrote that she believes everyone will be ready to go for the weekend action. Senior Caryn Rosoff sat out the Nov. 7 game against the University of Chicago due to a leg injury.

According to volleyball coach Rich Luenemann, freshman setter Marilee Fisher, who sat out the UAA championship last weekend, should be able to play. Fisher is the NCAA Division III statistical leader with 11.49 assists per set. Sophomore outside hitter Erin Kasson is out for the rest of the season.

Zoë Scharf | Student Life

Zoë Scharf | Student Life