PK’s lift Bears over Brandeis, NYU wins with two goals late

Wash. U. 1, Brandeis 0

After losing three consecutive games, the men’s soccer team snapped its scoring drought with a 1-0 win over Brandeis.

“We started well, which we normally don’t do,” sophomore forward Patrick McLean said. “Our defense always plays well, so normally if we get even a single goal, we will win the game, but scoring is our problem.”

In the 13th minute, the Judges were whistled for a handball inside the box. The play set up a penalty kick for senior co-captain John Hengel, which he converted for the game-winning goal and his seventh score of the season.

“There was a ball played into the box, and Nat [Zenner] challenged one of the Brandeis defenders, and [the defender] just hit the ball blatantly with his hand,” Hengel said.

Although the Judges held a one-shot advantage in each half, the Bears allowed few scoring opportunities. Wash. U. did not allow any shots on goal in the second half, and with two saves for the game, senior goalie John Smelcer earned the 27th shutout of his career.

“We defended well, and we won a lot of balls in the back,” Hengel said. “We were good in the air and defended all their offensive attacks.”

Wash. U. 1, New York University 2

Despite outshooting NYU 16-9 on Sunday, the Bears fell to the Violets 2-1. The loss brings the team’s University Athletic Association record to an even 3-3. The win was NYU’s first in UAA play.

“I think Brandeis was a better team, but we really didn’t play very well in either game.” McLean said. “Losing to NYU just shows you that better teams can lose a lot of the time.”

The Bears and the Violets each recorded five shots in the first half, but after 45 minutes of play, both teams were scoreless.

Early in the second half, the Violets recorded the first goal of the game. Freshman midfielder Ronny Scardino got a shot past Smelcer on an assist from fellow freshman Kyle Green. Green continued the Violets’ offensive attack with a goal under 10 minutes later to make the score 2-0.

“The first goal was amazingly lucky; it went through Randy [Schoen’s] legs, I think, and went into the side netting. It was the first time [Scardino] shot. It’s just luck, but sometimes you get a lucky shot,” McLean said. “The second goal was just our mistake, another miscommunication between the backs and the keeper.”

The Bears responded quickly with a goal by junior Harry Beddo in the 69th minute. Beddo’s score came on a rebound from a previous shot. Beddo had six shots on the day, four of which were on goal.

“Against NYU, we really picked it up after they scored their two goals and after that we dominated the rest of the game,” Hengel said. “But we need to have that level of intensity from the beginning and get that early lead like we did against Brandeis.”

The Bears play their final game of a three-game road trip on Saturday at the University of Chicago. Game time is set for 11 a.m.