Women’s soccer: Rosoff achieves milestone as Bears roll over Fontbonne

Senior Becca Heymann chases down a loose ball in an Oct. 18 game against the University of Rochester. Heymann scored twice in an 8-0 victory against Fontbonne University on Oct. 25. (Daniel Eicholtz | Student Life)

The Washington University women’s soccer team made it a long afternoon for its across-the-street rivals, the Fontbonne University Griffins, in the 2009 Wydown Showdown. Even with Fontbonne coming in with a 6-10 record, the Bears were not caught looking past this game to next Friday’s University Athletic Association game against Brandeis University. With the midfielders using crisp one-on-one touches to advance the attack and accurate long passes inside the Griffin defense, the Bears used fundamental soccer skills to put their opponent down early.

Sophomore Lee Ann Felder kicked off the scoring 11 minutes into the game.

“I got a great assist from [Emma Brown], and there wasn’t anybody on my back, and I turned and shot it near post,” Felder said.

A mere 30 seconds later, Brown found the net off a beautiful left-footed shot to the upper-right corner from just outside the box for her 12th goal of the season.

With just less than 30 minutes remaining in the first half, senior Caryn Rosoff connected with fellow senior Becca Heymann. Rosoff delivered a low, hard cross, which Heymann headed decisively into the goal. Heymann wasn’t finished, however and added another point as senior Emily Bylsma crossed the ball and assisted Heymann for her second goal of the game to make the score 4-0 in favor of Wash. U.

Three minutes later, Brown yet again connected for her 13th goal of the season after she received the ball in the middle of the box for a quick shot.

By marking their opponents and closing quickly on the ball, the Bears’ defense never gave Fontbonne much open field to work with. The Griffins were kept on their heels and at midfield or on defense most of the game. At the half, the Bears led 5-0.

“I think we’re just really playing good team defense,” senior defender Libby Held said. “[We are] talking a lot and supporting each other, playing smart.”

With 34 minutes remaining in the second half, Rosoff scored the 42nd goal of her career and tied 2002 graduate Jessica Glick for third on the all-time goal-scoring list at Wash. U. Rosoff beat two consecutive Griffin defenders one on one and shot over the charging goalie for the milestone.

“It feels pretty good. It’s nice to see everything coming together,” Rosoff said. “It’s better to see us winning.”

“Caryn’s special. She’s a special player. She’s a special person. It’s more than her goal scoring—her attitude, the way she practices, the way she trains, the way she makes other people better,” head coach Jim Conlon said. “I think if you ask her, she’s more happy with the two assists today than she is with her goal.”

Five minutes later, freshman Leslie Davis received a pass from classmate Jodi Rosenzweig for her first career goal. To cap off the scoring, freshman Allie Betley struck the ball from the back of the box to the far left corner, giving the Fontbonne goalie no chance to make a save, and increasing the score to 8-0.

This was the 12th time the two neighboring teams had met, and after Sunday’s game Wash. U. leads the series 12-0 and has outscored Fontbonne 67-3 overall.

The No. 9 Red and Green have three games left in the regular season, all in-league games and all away. The team faces three big challengers in the coming two weeks. The Bears travel to Brandeis on Friday and visit New York University two days later. Wash. U. wraps up the season against the No. 15 University of Chicago on Nov. 7.