Women’s soccer: Early goal enough for win

Senior Caryn Rosoff scored the only goal in Sunday’s win over Carnegie Mellon. She is now fourth all time in team career goals scored, with 40. (Nora Jehle | Student Life)

A milestone goal by senior Caryn Rosoff lifted the Washington University women’s soccer team past conference rival Carnegie Mellon University last Sunday.

Rosoff received a perfect lead pass from sophomore Natalie Callahan in the eighth minute and beat the goalkeeper to score her 40th goal of her career and ninth of the season. With that goal, Rosoff also moved into fourth on the team’s career goals scored list, passing Meghan Marie Fowler-Finn (’06). Rosoff is now only two goals shy of Jessica Glick’s (’01) 42 career goals scored, which would place her in the top three leading scorers.

“Natalie got a really good early serve…[and it] got to me running diagonal across the back.” Rosoff said, “It was perfect, a great team effort.”

The No. 16 Bears applied constant pressure to Carnegie Mellon’s defense, as they consistently kept the ball on the Tartan side of the field. The Red and Green also outshot Carnegie Mellon 18-6.

The Bears’ offense has been thriving during the team’s unbeaten streak. Currently, sophomore Emma Brown and Rosoff hold the first and second spots in the University Athletic Association for most goals scored, respectively. The team itself leads the league in average goals per game with 2.82 and assists with 2.27 per game.

Despite being outplayed, Carnegie Mellon did have its chances at tying the game. With 29 minutes remaining in the first half, a Carnegie forward was able to shoot past freshman goalie Clara Jaques who was just outside the eight yard box. Senior captain Libby Held, however, had adjusted to move behind her goalie and was able to deflect the ball out.

“It’s really important to me that the ball doesn’t go into the net. You have to put everything into it and hold yourself accountable. I think it was a full team effort today.” Held said, “You can’t get a shutout without everyone working to get the ball back when we don’t have it and [to] keep possession when we have it. I’m really proud of everyone.”

The defense has also been buckling down, as the team is allowing on average less than one goal per game.

“We were making good decisions when we had the ball, and really great decisions when we didn’t have the ball…and that’s what kept the ball out of our net and into theirs,” Held said.

With the victory, the Bears moved to 8-2-1 (1-0-1 UAA) on the season.

Wash. U. continues the conference portion of its schedule against Case Western Reserve University and the University of Rochester on Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Francis Field. The team looks to continue its nine game unbeaten streak. Rochester and Case Western are tied for first in the UAA, the only teams with better records than the Bears.

• http://www.polishworld.com/news/users/55854/kietzgpdst/1.html Arlie Eden

Hello, just found your page from mixx. This isn’t not an article I would typically read, but I loved your spin on it. Thank you for creating a blog post worth reading!