Men’s Soccer beats Fontbonne 3-1

Washington University's John Hengel moves up the field during the second half. Hengel lead the bears to a 3-1 victory with two goals. (Matt Mitgang | Student Life)

After a loss on Sunday, the men’s soccer team played through a cold rain to rebound with its first three-goal game of the year in a victory over Fontbonne.

“It was a big win, it was a regional game and coming off a loss it’s a big confidence booster, senior co-captain John Hengel said.

Hengel started Washington University’s scoring with a goal on an assist from sophomore Kevin Privalle in the 20th minute. Privalle received a pass from junior Randall Schoen and found Hengel 20 yards out from the goal.

The Bears pressured offensively and allowed the Griffins only six shots the entire game.

“There were times when we just kind of dominated the play and we attacked pretty well, we countered,” freshman Brian Wright said.

The Bears would finish the half up 2-0 after a score from Wright. The goal was the first of Wright’s Wash. U. career.

[The ball] was up in the air and then I brought it down off my chest, and saw a defender coming … I just took one touch to the side and he went past me,” Wright said. I saw the goalie pretty far on the near post and I thought that if I could bend one far post he would have a pretty hard chance of getting it.”

Fontbonne would strike first in the second half on a long goal from forward Mike Utley, but the Bears quickly countered.

We got some good goals, especially when they got their first goal when it was 2-1, we came back and scored right away and kind of put their hopes back down, Wright said.

The Bears’ third point of the evening came on Hengel’s second goal just 39 seconds after the Fontbonne score. Hengel noted that the three goals indicated an improvement from past games on finishing.

Third goal we got a cross play from the left side across the box and [Michael Chamberlain] flicked it back across, which is a thing we’ve worked on a lot on dead balls,” Hengel said. So it was a good play by him and I just touched it in.”

The Bears substituted frequently throughout the night; 11 Bears in addition to the starters saw playing time.

“We subbed a lot so we had a lot of guys working really hard, and we kind of out-worked their team I thought,” Wright said.

Wash. U. continues play at home on Friday against Case Western Reserve University. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.