Track continues prep for UAA championships

The Washington University men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams continued their preparations for the UAA Indoor Championships this past Saturday with top-three finishes at the Monmouth College Fighting Scot Invitational.

The women placed second of eight, while the men placed third of nine to the defending NCAA National Indoor Champion and runners-up University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and Monmouth College respectively.

For the women, senior Aubrey Edwards and freshman Erica Jackey captured the only first place finishes. Edwards won the weight throw with a distance of 14.93 meters, while Jackey finished first in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 10:39.48.

The women also met two NCAA provisional qualifying marks. Senior Danielle Wadlington’s season-best time of 8.44 seconds in the 55-meter hurdles met the qualifying mark and fell just 0.04 seconds short of setting a Wash. U. school record. Wadlington also placed third in the triple jump with a distance of 10.82 meters.

In the pole vault, freshman Katie Hered matched her own provisional mark of 3.45 meters set earlier in the year, in a third-place finish.

The women also had several other notable finishes. Senior Erika Wade finished second in the 400-meter dash, senior Alli Alberts placed second in the high jump, senior Liat Rome finished fifth in the shot put and the Bears’ 4×400-meter relay squad came in second with a season-best mark of 4:01.38, falling just 1.38 seconds shy of meeting the NCAA provisional standard.

Like the women, the men also had two first-place finishers. Sophomore Dave Spandorfer won the 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:42.25. Sophomore Ben Harmon captured first in the long jump with a distance of 6.71 meters for the Bears’ other first-place finish.

Skyler Moots took second in the 800-meter run, junior Alden Black came in third in the mile run, sophomore Scott Pettit finished third in the pole vault, freshman Tyler Jackson placed fourth in the 55-meter hurdles with a mark of 7.77 seconds, just 0.04 seconds shy of the provisional standard and junior Iby Umana came in fourth in the 200-meter dash.

“It was a good performance since we’re getting so close to conference,” sophomore Tom Gulyas said.

Wash. U. will compete in the Wartburg Invitational on Feb. 21 in Waverly, Iowa. It will be the team’s last meet before the 2009 UAA Indoor Championships.