This day in history

Brian Razak | Senior Citizen

It was a very exciting day in history, on today, March 31st. The most exciting event happened overseas, but it was a very exciting day for Americans as well. Obviously, the most important event happened in 1945 in Hiroshama, Japan, when we, well, dropped a really big bomb and killed lots of people. But black people got the right to vote 40 years later! In 1965, LBJ signed the Voting Rights Act. Very exciting stuff. 1890 also brought a new type of death to William Kemmler, the very first person ever to be executed in the electric chair. Good for you, Will! Way to make history.

Some good things happened, too, as we began to shape our nation’s governing document—in 1787, the founding fathers started a draft of the Constitution. Andy Warhol was born in 1928, and Campbell’s soup had never been so grateful. Before he was the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince, Prince released “Purple Rain” in 1984. In 1914, Serbia declared war against Germany, and Austria-Hungary declared war against Russia. Fifty one years later, the Beatles asked for “Help” in the newest album. If only they had been alive a little earlier, maybe WWI could have been prevented. That would have been pretty cool. Oh well. It was an exciting enough day in history, I suppose. We don’t need to add time travel to the mix.