Celebrity sports crushes

When you dedicate yourself to the craft of a sport, you tend to immerse yourself in the entire world of athletics. That can lead to some intense fandoms and athletic crushes. Student Life asked some of Wash. U.’s most prominent athletes about the professional athletes that make their hearts beat faster.

Roger Federer, Tennis

Who’s crushing?

Katybeth Biewen, senior basketball player

Why?

“First and foremost, he’s a boss on the tennis court. He’s also extremely classy, he has an adorable family and his Nike outfits are always on point. I could say more, but I’ll leave it at that.”

Rory McIlroy, Golf

Who’s crushing?

Connie Zhou, senior golfer

Why?

“Because he’s Irish, has a great physique, has an amazing swing and handles success and failure well. He just seems like a super cool guy.”

Natalie Coughlin, Swimming

Who’s crushing?

Reed Dalton, senior swimmer

Why?

“Not only is she still totally ripped and kicking butt after competing in the past three Olympics, but she’s a bro and trains exclusively with the University of California at Berkeley’s men’s team while also being an impressive chef and gardener outside the water. Would love to race her sometime, although I don’t know if I would win.”

Alex Morgan, Soccer

Who’s crushing?

Lizzie Crist, junior soccer player

Why?

“Her hair is flawless the entire game. And have you seen anyone bend it like her? I like keeping a shutout, but if she and I went up against each other… I’d probably let her score.”

Ronda Rousey, MMA

Who’s crushing?

Andrew Sanders, sophomore basketball player

Why?

“I respect her athletic abilities. I’ve seen a bunch of her fights, and I think it’s pretty impressive how tough she is and how she has only lost one fight in her career.”