Sex Survey proves engineers get more than just jobs: Results of survey show high intra-major dating

Amelia Ma | Contributing Reporter

According to the results of this year’s Student Life Sex Survey, most Washington University students tend to date someone within the same school or division of major.

The annual survey was conducted over the past two weeks, which introduced a question regarding the academic majors of partners in relationships.

Based on the 1,415 students who disclosed their major, business school students were the most likely to date within their discipline, with 26 percent of those in a relationship dating another business student. Meanwhile, engineering students led the pack in commitment, with nearly half currently dating someone.

The survey also revealed that students are likely to have partners with similar majors to their own; for example, engineering students dating natural science students.

There is no lack, however, of people dating someone with a completely different academic major. Those who date outside of their major often meet their partners via extracurricular activities, common non-academic interests and residential communities.

Junior Yaala Muller, studying the humanities in the College of Arts & Sciences, felt that dating outside of one’s academic major was not a big deal for students in Arts & Sciences.

“People studying art and architecture might date mostly inside their school because they are having the same courses and seeing the same people everyday. But for students in Arts & Sciences, I believe there is more freedom, and the rule is not necessarily true,” Muller said.

The survey also revealed patterns of cross-major dating. After other Olin Business School students, business students tend to date engineers, who in turn are equally split between business and social science students. Humanities students tend to have more business school partners. Sam Fox School students appear to be interested in business and natural science students, although only 76 Sam Fox students completed the survey.

While stereotypes might render the following statistic surprising, engineers date more than any other academic major. Forty-nine percent of engineering undergraduates are currently dating someone, compared to about 43 percent for undergraduates overall.

Upon hearing the results of the survey, freshman Giselle Fuselier took pride in the results that prove engineering students are not just as likely, but in fact more likely, to date than other majors.

“That is amazing. I thought engineering students were less likely to be in a relationship. Besides, they usually have so much work to do that they don’t have time for dating,” Fuselier said.

Junior engineering student Aaron Hall noted that his partner’s major didn’t make a major difference.

“My girlfriend is minoring in [computer science] but majors in finance. We met through a mutual friend. I don’t think being in different schools makes it harder to meet new people or be in a relationship,” Hall said.