Staff ed: ‘Student Love’ is back for another year

Why do we keep publishing the Sex Issue every year? Well, the simplest reason is that it is our most read issue. And after sustaining jokes about how “no one reads Student Life” the rest of the year, it’s nice to put together something that people will actually see.

But the real reason we keep doing this is because of the sex survey, which reveals a whole bunch of fascinating information about the sexual lives of our fellow Washington University students. For any of you who were concerned (or embarrassed) that you had a weirdly bloody sexual encounter, fear not—it seems that many of your peers have been in the same boat. And for whoever answered “this survey” for your most embarrassing sexual moment, you could have come up with a better joke, at the very least.

The survey also reveals some useful sexual advice, ranging from very specific moves during oral sex to just generally going to Wild Country. Overwhelmingly though, respondents wanted you to know that the best thing you can do during sex is communicate how you’re feeling and what you want. So, maybe take that piece of wisdom into account.

On a more serious note, the sex survey lets us look at some statistics and trends that are actually very important to the Wash. U. student body. Not that we didn’t know this before the survey, but dating apps are a huge part of life at Wash. U. Interestingly though, most students are not using apps like Tinder to date or even to hook up. The two most popular reasons that Wash. U. students use dating apps are as a confidence boost (70.6 percent) or just to look at pictures of attractive people (50.93 percent). More of you are using Tinder just to talk people, rather than using it to find serious romantic partners—so, keep that in mind before you boldly send that first message.

The survey also shows some (at least slightly reassuring) trends. Last year, 25 percent of respondents were using the “pull out” method to prevent pregnancy, while this year that number dropped to 22.3 percent. However, more Wash. U. students are pulling out than are using IUDs, and IUD usage remained essentially flat, dropping slightly from 18.5 percent to 18.34 percent. It appears that Wash. U. students are not taking advantage of the recent expansion of IUD availability at Student Health Services.

In short, we keep doing the Sex Issue because it is both fun and informative. It lets us talk about sex on campus—something we all care and think about, whether we admit it or not—while also becoming maybe a little concerned about the fact that 21 of you have had sex in the Danforth University Center showers. As long as sex remains a part of life in college, it will be important to talk about it candidly—and with a little bit of humor.