Top Five Boutiques in the STL

Greta Garmel | Contributing Writer

Are you sick of shopping at the Galleria every weekend? Are you sick of wearing matching Wash. U. T-shirt and sweatpants to class every day? Believe me, I’m sick of seeing it. The best way to break out of a style rut is to try something new. So, why not take the time to explore your own backyard while revamping your wardrobe? To help you steer clear of some of the not-so-hip stores in the St. Louis area, below is a list of my five favorite boutiques near campus. Happy shopping!

Ziezo
6394 Delmar Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130
314-725-9602
Look out for: Alternative poppy T-shirt with a slit-open back, gold snake pendant necklace, Jeffery Campbell Night Walk heel-less heels

Ziezo is most definitely for the trendy, experienced boutique-goer. This store is chock-full of chic items including American flag leggings, platform sneakers, leather shorts, neon bags and a plethora of clothing with photorealistic prints. Although some of the clothing may be a little too eccentric for those of you who don’t like to pretend that Forsythe is one long runway, Ziezo also offers simple fall basics, such as the utilitarian American Apparel-esque pullover. Ziezo’s accessories deserve a browse as they flaunt everything from knitted hats to Indian-style printed scarves to amazing vintage rings.

K. Hall Designs
8416 Manchester Rd.
St. Louis, MO 63144
314-961-1990
Look out for: Cozy winter hats (with attached picture of the sheep it was made from!), Barr-Co. “all American scent” candles and lotions, “Moss” solid perfume (which smelled so good that I bought it)

Love Anthropologie? Well, then, why not stop by one of the boutiques from which Anthropologie buys many of its home goods? Most famous for its locally made perfumes and candles, K. Hall Designs is the perfect boutique for any shoppers conscious of their carbon footprint and looking to add a little Bohemian flavor to their homes (or dorms). Besides its 98 percent natural home goods, K. Hall Designs also carries diverse jewelry appropriate for you or your mom—holiday shopping, anyone?

Ivy Hill
304 N. Euclid Ave
St. Louis, MO 63108
314-367-7004
Look out for: Eddera necklace with gilded leaves surrounded a ruby stone, THML jacket with corduroy elbow patches, cashmere scarves

Don’t be fooled by its mint green walls and monogrammed necklaces. Along with some trademark preppy items, Ivy Hill has a wonderful array of pieces for a variety of women. Along with well-known names including Splendid, Ella Moss and Trina Turk, Ivy Hill also carries many unique brands, such as that of St. Louis designer Wai Ming, who creates beautifully tailored pieces perfect for your next business-casual event. Not only does Ivy Hill sell exquisitely made clothes, but it also features a jewelry collection to die for. The pieces were obviously chosen by a designer with a great eye and could be worn fashionably by almost any woman no matter her style. Just do me a favor and don’t buy one of the bedazzled clutches…those are surely Ivy Hill’s one faux pas.

Lusso
165 Carondelet Plaza
St. Louis MO 63105
314-725-7205
Look out for: Jonathan Adler “Hashish” (yes…that hashish) candle, $8 fair trade tribal bangles, White + Warren grey color-blocked cashmere sweater

If you would say your style is “classic” and you love well-made clothing, then Lusso is perfect for you. With items such as the almost universally flattering J Brand jeans, you’d be hard pressed to go wrong with Lusso’s timeless style. Most of Lusso’s clothing could easily stand on its own, but it can also be mixed and matched with trendier pieces. Lusso markets fun home decor items as well, such as Alexandra Ferguson’s “WTF” pillows that are perfect for any common room couch. (But maybe consider hiding it for parents’ weekend.) Also be on the lookout for Deborah Lippmann’s notorious sparkly nail polish, and try spicing up that classic outfit with some disco ball nails.

Sole and Blues
6317 Delmar Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130
314-863-3600
Look out for: Its massive shoe selection, BB Dakota brocade-patterned dress, BB Dakota fur vest

Sole and Blues is the ideal boutique for any mallrat to break out of her shell. This store offers your favorite Galleria items like Hudson and AG jeans alongside Sam Edelman shoes and Frye boots. (Unfortunately, Sole and Blues also carries Uggs, but please do me a favor and restrain yourself—there are other comfy shoes out there that are not quite as heinous.) Sole and Blues also has cozy, basic tees and tanks that everyone needs to make it through fall in St. Louis. Although Sole and Blues has a great selection of the basics, its other items tend to lean towards the kitschy, homemade side, which is best avoided at all costs.