Deconstructing Armour, a review

courtesy of armour. magazine
It’s certainly not as thick as a Vogue or an Elle, but it doesn’t need to be. A very admirable endeavor, Armour, a new fashion magazine started by three Sam Fox School students, Jacob Lenard, Chantal Strasburger and Felicia Podberesky, launched last week in an effort to bring fashion and style to the Wash. U. community. Featuring bold glossy photographs and topics ranging from the origin of the bow tie to vintage Wash. U. fashion, this magazine is a fun little read, surely to be accessible to students of all styles and tastes.

There are a few critiques I noted while first reading the magazine. I was a little thrown off by the piece on the 1961 Wash. U. homecoming queen. The article details the criteria for earning the title, categories such as attire, athletics, teeth and poise. I wasn’t sure how much of this was fact or fiction. If the article was intended as a humor piece, perhaps it should have been placed at the end of the magazine. Additionally, though the beauty piece focused mainly on technique, I wish it provided a few brands that students could use to implement the various steps outlined to achieve a metallic smoky eye, especially because it is so easy to get overwhelmed by the plethora of products and brands available in stores. Ultimately, I felt the spring issue of the magazine lacked a strong, overarching theme. Although the individual sections alone were fun and easy to read, I didn’t get a sense of consistency in the topics covered throughout Armour. Overall, the magazine left me wanting more.

However, there were many enticing aspects of the magazine as well. My favorite thing about Armour is its accessible tone. The articles sound like casual conversations with my friends rather than an imposing Anna Wintour looking down upon me for wearing jeans again. The Everyday Runway section was a great touch, as it encouraged students to make runway styles their own. I also enjoyed the photography and the fact that student models were both featured and named. Even if you don’t care about fashion, you’ll definitely be entertained and educated by reading Armour. You may even learn something new about some of the students you pass by everyday. If you couldn’t get a copy of the magazine, check out the blog: armourmag.blogspot.com.

Stay Stylish!