Where to get your Valentine’s Day dessert fix

| Senior Scene Editor

For many of us, Valentine’s Day means one thing: the ultimate triumph of capitalism through the candy industry. Who cares about love? Let’s all get cavities! Whether you’re looking for somewhere to go with your significant other, or if you’re just trying to satisfy a sweet tooth on your own, here are some places to gorge on all that sweet, sweet sugar:

Dessert graphicJosh Zucker | Student Life

Snow Factory:

If you’re trying to stay close to campus and haven’t yet stumbled into Snow Factory, you’re missing out. Recently opened by a senior finance student at University of Missouri-St. Louis, it claims to be the only Thai-style ice cream place in St. Louis. They make the ice cream rolls in front of you, and you have the option of choosing between a variety of unique flavors, like “Avocado Rhapsody” and “Oreo Wonderland.”

Address: 6602 Delmar Boulevard
Hours: 12 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily

Piccione Pastry:

Sitting at the corner of Delmar Boulevard and Skinker Boulevard, Piccione Pastry is close to campus, yet still super underrated. Not only does it have a wide selection of cannoli, but all the desserts look almost too pretty to eat. And then, when you do finally get the heart to eat them, they’re delicious. They’re also good about labeling their gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan and vegetarian options. Plus, their gelato is now made by Clementine’s Creamery—a place that I have a personal obsession with.

Address: 6197 Delmar Boulevard
Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Hank’s Cheesecakes:

A short drive from the Loop, Hank’s Cheesecakes is that place on Big Bend that you always pass by without going into—but you still chalk it down as one of those places you should try one of these days. That day should be today. Hank’s is a small business (there’s a real Hank!) that offers decadent cheesecakes and desserts, as well as sugar-free cheesecakes. They also have “appetizer” cheesecakes, where they take flavor pairings like basil pesto or sun-dried tomato and spinach and turn them into savory cheesecakes.

Address: 1063 Big Bend Boulevard
Hours: Closed Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday

The Cup:

This cozy gourmet cupcake place has some of the most Instagram worthy desserts, from classic options like double chocolate and confetti, to limited edition and seasonal specials. The Cup also has gluten-free cupcakes, as well as the option to customize your own desserts. Before you stop in, check the cupcake calendar on its website for a list of their daily offerings.

Address: 28 Maryland Plaza
Hours: Closed Sunday, 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Jeni’s Ice Cream:

Jeni’s has a few branches around the country, and luckily for us, the St. Louis store is a quick ride on the #1 bus from the Mallinckrodt stop. It prides itself on making smooth, buttercreamlike ice cream with unique flavors. Since it doesn’t use synthetic flavorings, the ice cream also doesn’t have a strange aftertaste. In addition to ice cream, Jeni’s also carries frozen yogurt and sherbet, if you’re in the mood for something lighter.

Address: 389 North Euclid Avenue
Hours: 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 12 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Bailey’s Chocolate Bar:

Bailey’s offers a variety of swanky desserts and meals. But mostly desserts. Try one of its many ice creams, cakes, brownies and puddings—but make sure you get there early, because if you’re there when it’s really busy, the wait time can be ridiculous. Located in Lafayette Square, it’s a bit of a trek, but it’s worth it. While you’re there, you can also enjoy strolling around in the park/square area, since it was basically made for romantic walks with a partner (or yourself).

Address: 1915 Park Avenue
Hours: 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. Sunday, 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday