Halloween events near you that aren’t trick or treating

| Senior Editor

As college students, we like to fancy ourselves as mature real adults. But let’s face it: We’re all kids at heart, and Halloween is the epitome of childhood joy. Candy, friendship, getting so scared by the costume that one mean 13-year-old on your block is wearing that you’re overly terrified by clown movies for life—the usual stuff. Sadly, it can be pretty hard to find events to get your spooky fix as someone that’s also at an age where they’re expected to know how to pay bills. Luckily, I’ve done some of the work for you! Here are the best, scariest, probably haunted events with a promise of candy (or other treats) in St. Louis this week.

Tuesday, Oct. 24

Lecture: “The Future of the Planet: Climate Change and Environmental Protection”
Graham Chapel, 7 p.m.

OK, OK, not specific to Halloween, I’ll admit. But still scary.

4 Hands + Piccione = Cannoli Oktoberfest
Piccione Pastry on the Delmar Loop, 6 p.m.

What’s better than candy? Pastries! Especially those often flavored like candy! Or, in this case, beer. A partnership between 4 Hands Brewery and Piccione Pastry has resulted in the most delicious fall treat of them all: cannolis flavored like some of St. Louis’ best craft brews. If that doesn’t float your boat, try some of Piccione’s other amazing desserts. They have Halloween-themed cookies and tiramisu, as well as full breakfasts and lunches. Better yet, cannolis are six for the price of four for the whole month of October, and college students get 25 percent off everything on Wednesdays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 25

Dogtown Haunted Walk
The Pat Connolly Tavern, 6 p.m.

This haunted walk through Clayton’s spookiest streets is both educational and sugar coma-inducing. Stops along the way will have food, candy and drinks available, as well as haunted tales from storytellers. A $5 donation is requested, but not required, to support future community events in Clayton, but otherwise, this two-hour ghost tour is a free event open to all community members.

Thursday, Oct. 26

Science Spooktacular
Saint Louis Science Center, 5 p.m.

Can’t get enough of those hands-on experiments in chemistry lab? Check out this scientifically spine-chilling event at the Saint Louis Science Center. The evening will feature demonstrations of Halloween-themed scientific concepts, Spooky Storytime, a Spooky Walk in the GROW Gallery and screenings of Halloween films in the IMAX theater. This event is free, and all ages are welcome.

Friday, Oct. 27

Halloween Earmaking Event
Trading Post on the South 40, 4 p.m.

Every year I leave my costume planning to the last minute. As I browse Pinterest and Buzzfeed and see all of the elaborate, themed, DIY getups, I always wish I had started further in advance (and that I could actually do anything DIY-related). Luckily, SWAP Sharing with a Purpose is here to help with their character earmaking event on the South 40. The event promises “ears, snacks, costumes, chalk drawing and Halloween fun,” so basically it’s the most perfect event in the world.

Sumers One-Year Anniversary Spectacular
Sumers Recreation Center, all day Friday

This event features a two-part special, depending on your dedication to the world’s best holiday: Aanyone who swipes into the center on Friday will receive a “complimentary gift,” while all of those who come to workout in costumes will get glow in the dark T-shirts. Additionally, exercise classes throughout the day will all feature a costume contest, with the winner receiving a free massage. At the height of midterm season, this couldn’t come at a better time. And, as a bonus, you can burn off some of those candy calories ahead of schedule! For those looking for a non-athletic option, there will be laser tag and a video game truck during Sumers After Hours.

Saturday, Oct. 28

Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Tivoli Theatre, 11:55 p.m.

This event, labeled as the longest-running midnight movie of all time, is perfect for all you night owls. Famous for the outlandishly fun costumes it attracts and its cult following, Rocky Horror is the epitome of Halloween fun. Tickets are $10, and you might have to wait outside in the autumn temperatures, but it’s well worth it to see this fantastic show.

All Student Theatre Presents: “Murder Under the Bigtop”
Danforth University Center, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

An interactive Halloween performance, AST’s Murder Mystery show has quickly become a Washington University staple in its four years of production. Each attendee will be given a role to play as other participants try to solve a mysterious death. Costumes are encouraged (so you can test yours out ahead of the big day), and tickets can be purchased this week at the All Student Theatre table in the DUC.

Sunday, Oct. 29

Howl-O-Ween Pet Parade 2017
Delmar Loop, 11 a.m.

I know I said a previous listing was the most perfect event of all time, but this might actually be it. This pet parade features a costume contest for our furry friends based on the following categories: scariest, funniest, most original, pet/owner look-a-like and best group costume (of course, as we all know, every dog is still a good boy regardless of place in the contest). Post-costume contest, there will be a pumpkin decorating station and trick-or-treating at many of the Delmar Loop’s businesses and restaurants.