6 Halloween costumes you can quickly throw together in a pinch

| Editor-in-Chief

There are two kinds of people in this world: the ones who meticulously plan out their Halloween costumes starting in the summer and the ones who hastily throw something together at the last minute using whatever they can find laying around their room.
As someone who falls squarely in the latter category, I’ve come up with my fair square of on the fly looks, with varying levels of success. Below, my tips for some quick costumes that make the grade:

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 1.48.47 AMIllustration by Josh Zucker

Taylor Swift

The great thing about dressing up as Taylor Swift? The singer’s gone through a ton of style evolutions over her career.
Be the “Reputation” Taylor by embracing edgy style in a grungy band T-shirt and worn-in combat boots (bonus points if you can manage to find clothing or accessories with snakes printed on them).
The old Taylor may not be able to come to the phone right now, but that doesn’t mean you can’t emulate her for Halloween. Have your friends Sharpie their names on an oversized white T-shirt for the “You Belong With Me” music video look. Throw on a minidress and some cowboy boots to sing “Our Song.” Slip into a white bodysuit and tutu to be “Shake It Off” Taylor.
If you’re really up for a challenge, gather together a group of friends and all dress up as different iterations of the singer.

Obnoxious tourist

Remember that fanny pack you bought freshman year because you thought it’d be a handy item for parties?
Pluck that from the depths of your closet and pair with a novelty T-shirt or a faded polo shirt for the ultimate tourist look. Add credibility to your costume by pulling out white tube socks and khaki shorts (if you live locally, consider raiding your dad’s closet).
Go the extra mile by spending a few dollars on a lanyard, binoculars or a disposable camera, and find that oversized map of campus you got during orientation so you can pretend you’re lost.

Hanging Chad

“How I Met Your Mother” fans, rejoice!
Ted’s infamous hanging chad costume is easy to replicate. If you have a posterboard, a shoelace, a pair of scissors and a Sharpie, you’re set with supplies. Draw some boxes on your poster and write “ballot” at the top. Cut two holes in the top and feed the shoelace through, tying two knots on either end so that you can easily hang the poster from your neck.
For an even easier costume, dress up as Barney from the show—all you need is a suit.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 1.49.03 AMIllustration by Josh Zucker

Underwear model

Channel your best Calvin Klein model by wearing just your underwear. Sure, it’s risquee, but we’re in #college! You haven’t yet started on the permanent corporate grind that is adulthood!! Live a little, goddamn it!!!
Of course, if you want to be a tad more covered up, just slip on a button-down shirt over your underwear, and you can be Tom Cruise in “Risky Business.” Put on “Old Time Rock and Roll,” and get ready to dance around the kitchen counter like you’re a high school sophomore whose parents just went out of town for the weekend.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 1.48.30 AMIllustration by Josh Zucker

Regina George

Remember when Regina George wore a white tank top with cutouts over her bra, and everyone at North Shore High School just HAD to have her look?
Well, there’s a reason they were all able to so quickly pull this one together. All you need for this memorable outfit is a plain tank top—an undershirt would do the trick—that you’re willing to destroy with a pair of scissors.
And with “Mean Girls” as such a beloved flick, there’s no doubt in my mind that this simple costume will get you a lot of compliments.

OK, this may lack creativity, but it’s always an option if you’re really fresh out of costume ideas as time winds down.
Cut some strategic holes in your twin XL bedsheet so that you can see and breathe, drape it over your head and you’re set.
Just make sure your sheets are clean before parading around campus in them.