Style spotlight: A chat with Spanish instructor Angela Maria Rodriguez Moreno

Sara Braun | Contributing Writer

When you think of a college professor’s wardrobe, what exactly do you think of? Blazers with elbow patches? Argyle sweaters?

When I first arrived at college, I definitely believed that my professors would fulfill the stereotype of the old fuddy-duddy that frequents just about every college movie. However, when I stepped into Eads Hall, Room 117 on my first day of classes, I realized just how wrong I was. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I head to Spanish 201, and, without disappointment, Spanish graduate student Angela Maria Rodriguez Moreno’s vibrant wardrobe greets me. She welcomes the class with an emphatic “Hola!” but what speaks louder is the bright colors of her outfit—from her lime green mini dress to the magenta Puma sneakers she pairs it with. I had the opportunity to speak with her about her style, her hometown of Bogota, Colombia and her hatred of pants.

Professor Angela Maria Rodriguez Moreno poses outside the Danforth University Center. Rodriguez is known by her students for her unique sense of style.

Student Life:

What do you think inspires your style?

Angela Rodriguez:

At the beginning, it was my mother—she was really my inspiration. She had beautiful things, really beautiful things. She didn’t allow me to wear them, but I snuck around [and did anyway]. After her, probably “Ally McBeal.”

SL:

Do you think your background has influenced your style?

AR:

Of course. I came from Bogota, Colombia. We have a lot of opportunities to see beautiful things there because of globalization. I lived in London seven years ago, so I saw everything there, as well. I saw the cheapest clothes to most expensive. I could buy everything there—it was so cheap. The quality of the clothes was amazing. I still have clothes that I bought there.

SL:

What’s your favorite piece of clothing that you own?

AR:

Oh—dresses, dresses, dresses! Probably the little black dress. I have, like, 20. And red clothes. But dresses—I love them. They make me happy. You have to be happy every single day.

SL:

Where do you shop?

AR:

Right now, it’s H&M. It has a lot of affordable things. I like Forever 21, but they have a lot of slutty things. I get worried because I’m not so young anymore! But mostly, it’s H&M. Sometimes I find things on Amazon. And mango.com. They take so long because they come from Spain, but they’re still really good.

SL:

When you’re shopping, what do you look for? Certain styles or colors?

AR:

Colors, yes. Something happy. I hate pale colors. [I want] something beautiful that I can [wear] for many years—it’s not [just] for tomorrow; it’s not [just] for tonight. I think about what situations I can wear this piece of clothing in; for example, in a skirt and a beautiful blouse, I can be prepared for everything. And here you have seasons, so it’s different. I can wear [blouses and skirts], but it’s different. I can wear a winter jacket and still wear my dresses.

SL:

I’m sure the climate is different in St. Louis than in Colombia.

AR:

The fall here is like Bogota. Most of my clothes from Bogota [are ones] I use here in the fall. For example, my leather jackets—I love my leather jackets! I have one black and one red.

SL:

How long have you lived in St. Louis for?

AR:

Two years.

SL:

Do you have any current style influences?

AR:

Victoria Beckham. Angelina Jolie, too—I love her dresses. From TV, [I like] Sofia Vergara. We have a different kind of body, but I like her kind of dresses. She has the personality to wear them.

SL:

How do you think your style has evolved over the years?

AR:

I’m sure that I will never wear pants. I still wear dresses but no short dresses—I am sure I will always wear dresses. It’s just easier—a nice dress and a beautiful pair of shoes.

SL:

What’s the most embarrassing style choice you’ve made?

AR:

Oh, yeah. A pink dress—Barbie pink. I have no idea why I bought it. I remember [when I bought it], my mother looked at me and said, “Are you sure you want to go out wearing that?” The whole night, I felt like Barbie—in a really bad way. Everyone looked at me like, “What the hell is wrong with you?” It was terrible! After, I said, “I’m sorry, little dress, but I don’t need you anymore. Goodbye!”

SL:

What are your favorite TV shows or movies, either for their content or style?

AR:

I love “Mad Men.” “Mad Men” includes the history of when everything was changing in fashion. It was no longer the clothes of grandmothers. Everything was influenced by rock ’n’ roll—Rolling Stones, the Who, Peter Frampton. Oh, and “The Devil Wears Prada”; I love that movie. The dresses are great. And the third one…”Casablanca”!

SL:

Are you influenced by music?

AR:

Yes—I love Amy Winehouse. She was a different kind of person, I don’t have tattoos or anything, but she was special to me. Madonna, for sure. There are lots of Madonnas though—there isn’t one type.

SL:

In an academic setting such as Washington University, people don’t dress super boldly. How have you navigated dressing professionally and also expressing yourself with your clothes?

AR:

It’s really hard because you need to show respect. But I’m sure you can show respect, if you choose the right clothes. You don’t need to wear those horrible dress pants. I don’t want to look rigid. If you respect the boundaries, you can pull off so much. Students and colleagues can be so critical, so I try to be really careful. If it’s for a party, whatever. But for work, I try to be careful.