Epic Scene Time: Super Bowl recipes
As the Super Bowl is fast approaching, viewing parties are popping up all over. It’s a Super Bowl tradition to munch on great snacks and finger food while watching the big game. Whichever team or halftime artists you’re cheering on, party snacks can be a game changer from the viewer’s perspective. In order to keep everyone fed and happy while also exerting minimal effort on your part, we’ve provided you with a few edible options.
South 40-friendly (Paws & Go and microwaves)*
• 1 packet Kraft Easy Mac
• 3 Pretz-a-bagels (recommended), bread or bagels
• 2/3 cup water
1. Prepare the Easy Mac according to the directions. When adding the cheese powder, only keep as much water in the noodles as necessary. You want the mac ‘n’ cheese to be creamy, not watery.
2. Mound a heaping 2 tablespoons or so onto a sliced Pretz-a-bagel.
3. Microwave the slider on a microwave safe plate for about 15 seconds until the bagel is warm but the mac ‘n’ cheese is still creamy.
4. Serve while still warm.
• 1 jar tomato sauce
• 1 ball of Mozzarella or 2 cups of other cheese
• Bread or bagel pieces for dipping
1. Microwave about 1/3 of the jar of sauce in a covered microwave safe bowl (or mug) on high until warm. Check every 20-30 seconds depending on the thickness of the layer of sauce.
2. Slice 1/2 of the mozzarella thin, and layer on top of the sauce.
3. Microwave again until cheese begins to melt (about 30-45 seconds with fresh mozzarella).
4. Pour another 1/3 of the sauce on top of the layer of cheese.
5. Microwave again until sauce is warm.
6. Repeat steps 2-5.
7. Serve warm with bread or bagel pieces for dipping.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
• 2 cups (or containers) vanilla Greek yogurt
• 2/3 cup dry cake mix
• Sugar (optional)
• Pretzels, fruit, cookies, etc. for dipping
1. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt and cake mix together.
2. If you want it sweeter, add sugar to taste.
3. Let it chill in the refrigerator.
4. Serve chilled with pretzels, fruit, cookies, etc.
*Dining Services also has party platters available for order at diningservices.wustl.edu and Cherry Tree Café. You can use meal points and save time if you aren’t the cooking type.
A little more adventurous (may require an oven and/or Schnuck’s)
Bacon Cheddar Ranch Pull-Apart Bread
Serves up to 8
• 1 round, uncut loaf of sourdough (or similar) bread
• 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
• 6 strips bacon or 1-2 cups bacon bits
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix/seasoning
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Cook bacon, if necessary, and dice.
3. Slice bread in a one-inch grid pattern about 3/4 of the way down. (Don’t cut all the way to the bottom of the bread.)
4. Wiggle open the slits in the bread and stuff with the cheddar and bacon pieces.
5. Melt the butter in the microwave and combine with the ranch dressing mix.
6. Drizzle the ranch mixture all over the bread.
7. Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil, and cook about 20 minutes or until the cheese is all melted.
8. Serve the bread while warm by letting people pull it apart.
Walking Taco Bar
• Small bags of Fritos
• 1 or more cans of hearty chili (or make your own)
• Chopped lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
• Shredded cheddar cheese
• Sour cream
• Black olives
• Diced tomatoes
• Hot sauce
1. Clear an area to be used as a station for people to make their walking tacos.
2. Heat your chili in the microwave according to the directions on the can, or make your own.
3. Set out the bags of Fritos, followed by the chili, salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, black olives, diced tomatoes and hot sauce. Have a serving utensil with each part of the station.
4. Have your friends go through the line and make their walking tacos. Serve with a fork.
NOTE: This recipe is dependent on how many people you’re having over, so plan accordingly—it’s safer to err on the side of too much.
Cake Batter Cheese Ball (inspired by tasteandtellblog.com)
• 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, room temperature
• 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups cake mix, dry, any flavor
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
• Pretzels, fruit, cookies, etc for dipping
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth (you can do this by hand or use a stand mixer).
2. Add in the cake mix, brown sugar and powdered sugar. Then beat until smooth and combined.
3. Put the mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap, shape into a ball and wrap it up tightly.
4. Refrigerate the ball for two hours or until firm.
5. Put the chocolate chips or shavings on a shallow dish.
6. Unwrap the cheese ball and roll in the chocolate chips.
7. Serve with pretzels, fruit and cookies.