Cooking with Copy: Comfort food for college

and | Copy chiefs

Pictured above, the macaroni and cheese grilled cheese sandwich is an inexpensive meal that Wash. U. students can prepare using only ingredients from on-campus convenience stores.Caro Peguero | Student Life

Pictured above, the macaroni and cheese grilled cheese sandwich is an inexpensive meal that Wash. U. students can prepare using only ingredients from on-campus convenience stores.

We have to be honest with you—our patience has been wearing thin here in the Copy Kitchen. We’ve been eagerly awaiting spring break, all the while struggling through midterm exams, projects, presentations and papers. What could be better to combat the panic attacks than easy, inexpensive comfort food? Well, sleep…but that’s a commodity you’ll be hard-pressed to get. Instead, we’ve tried out two of the easiest recipes we could find in order to bring you delicious, easy-to-make eatables that, while not the most swimsuit-friendly, can be made solely with ingredients purchased from Millbrook Market and Paws & Go (so you can start to make a dent in your extra meal point balance).

The first item? The best combination of carbs and cheese (on top of more carbs) ever. You may ask, “What is this magical lunch/dinner/snack/any-meal creation?” The macaroni and cheese grilled cheese sandwich. The original recipe is actually quite involved, but we pared it down in order to fit the busy schedules of Wash. U. students.

The first step in this recipe is as simple as grilling up a couple of slices of bread. However, let us offer some advice: Do NOT use butter to grill your bread. We ruined nearly half a loaf of Arnold Butter Split Top Bread trying five different ways to grill our bread in a frying pan with butter, which seems to just make the slices of bread fall apart and stick to the pan. Rather, spray the bread and the pan with PAM Butter cooking spray. We know there’s some way to get it right with butter, but we were unsuccessful in finding it, so stick to the PAM, which led us to some perfectly browned bread slices.

While the bread is getting warm and toasty, prepare a container of Kraft Easy Mac according to package directions. We used the new Triple Cheese variety available in Millbrook Market—highly recommended. Remember to cut down on the water from the amount suggested, since the Easy Mac will be put atop bread, and soupy mac and cheese will fall out. Once the Easy Mac is prepared and cooled, spoon it onto a slice of bread that you have by now taken out of the pan (otherwise, your now-black piece of toast…), place another piece of grilled bread atop the Easy Mac, and enjoy.

Cookies n’ Creme Brownies, made using a Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies box mixCaro Peguero | Student Life

Cookies n’ Creme Brownies, made using a Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies box mix

You can’t have a meal without dessert, or at least that’s how we feel in the Copy Kitchen. What would best complete this simple yet somehow over-the-top meal? Make the collegiate go-to dessert: brownies from a box. In order to make these a little more special—and to celebrate Oreo’s 100th birthday, which was on Tuesday, March 6—we chose to make the Cookies n’ Creme Brownies recipe from the back of the Betty Crocker box mix for Fudge Brownies.

This requires a can of white frosting, an 18-ounce package of Oreos, a plastic bag large enough to drop 2/3 of the box into, and something that can smash your cookies to bits. Prepare the brownie batter as directed on the back of the box and set aside. Put 2/3 of the Oreo cookies into the plastic bag, and commence taking out your midterm frustrations on them via pounding. Once they are bite-sized, scoop one cup of the Oreo pieces into the prepared brownie batter, pour the whole mix into an 8 x 8 inch or 9 x 13 inch pan, bake, and voila: Oreo-studded brownies. But, why stop there? The finishing touch is to frost the brownies and sprinkle the remaining Oreo bits on top.

Now that you’ve eaten and the carbs and sugar have improved your state of mind, you’re ready to take on the rest of your midterms. Good luck, and happy spring break!