Fall Assembly Series Lecturers

| Student Life Staff

Arsalan Iftikhar
The Pacifist Fundamentalist
Monday, September 13 at 7p.m. College Hall (South 40)
Iftikhar is a Washington University graduate and an international human rights lawyer. He was personally selected by the French Ambassador to the United States for the Personnalites d’Avenir (Personalities of the Future) program.

Matthew Bishop
Philanthrocapitalism
Thursday, September 16 at 6p.m. May Auditorium (Simon Hall)
Bishop is the Business Editor and New York Bureau Chief of The Economist magazine. He will address the rising trend of “mega giving” among the world’s largest businesses and wealthiest billionaires.

Kevin Washburn
Improving Criminal Justice for American Indians
Thursday, September 23 at 12p.m. Anheuser-Busch Hall, trial courtroom #309
Washburn is the dean of the New Mexico School of Law and is on the General Counsel of the National Indian Gaming Commission. Among his many groundbreaking accomplishments, while visiting at Harvard University Law School, Washburn taught the first class on gaming law in the school’s history.

Jonathan Safran Foer
Reading and Commentary
Thursday, September 30 at 7p.m. Steinberg Auditorium (Steinberg Hall)
Mentored by Joyce Carole Oates while studying at Princeton, Foer turned his senior thesis into his first critically acclaimed novel, “Everything is Illuminated.”

Nicholas Kristof
Half the Sky: From Oppression to Opportunity for Women Worldwide
Monday, October 4 at 4p.m. Graham Chapel
Kristof has won two Pulitzer Prizes for his writing on human rights violations. On his blog, Kristof wrote that during his travels he has had “unpleasant experiences with malaria, war, an Indonesian mob carrying heads on pikes, and an African airplane crash.”

Cynthia Enlow
Spencer T. Olin Fellows Lecture
Friday, October 8 at 4p.m. Steinberg Auditorium (Steinberg Hall)
Enlow was awarded the Susan Strange Award by the International Studies Association in 2007. Her lecture will focus on the effects of globalization on women.

Adam Ross
Reading and Commentary
Tuesday, October 19 at 7p.m. Women’s Building Formal Lounge
A graduate of Wash. U.’s MFA creative writing program, Ross’s first novel, Mr. Peanut, was #1 on the Huffington Post’s “Best summer reading” list.

Colette Avital
Sponsored by the Students for a Peaceful Palestinian and Israeli Future
Friday, October 22 at 11a.m. Location TBA
Avital was the deputy speaker for the Knesset as well as the former Israeli ambassador. Avital’s specialties include international ethics, foreign relations, women’s issues and immigration.

Mott Greene
Alfred Wegener and The Origins of Modern Earth Science in the Theory of Continental Drift
Wednesday, November 3 at 4 p.m. Location TBA
Science historian Mott Greene’s accolades include a MacArthur Prize Fellowship and the 1996 Carnegie Foundation Professor of the Year. Greene will speak about the work of earth scientist Alfred Wegener.

Marianne Hirsch
Holocaust Memorial Lecture
Monday, November 8 at 4p.m. Graham Chapel
A professor of English and Comparative Literature and Co-Director of the Institute of Research on Women and Gender at Columbia University, Hirsch’s studies cover an integration of feminist studies, memory, literary theory and the Holocaust.

Jonathan Zimmerman
Beyond Bedrooms and Borders: What a Historian of American Sex Education Learned by Looking Overseas
Thursday, November 11 at 5p.m. Women’s Building Formal Lounge
As debates over what should be taught with regard to religion, sex and evolution continually pervade our society, Zimmerman, a distinguished professor at NYU, argues that all sides of these cultural issues should be covered in the classroom.

Mia Farrow
Elliott Stein Lecture in Ethics
Wednesday, November 17 at 12p.m. Graham Chapel
Often known for her Golden Globe award-winning acting and past relationships with Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen, Farrow has also done major humanitarian work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

Van Jones
Beyond Green Jobs: The Next American Economy
Tuesday, November 30 at 12p.m. Graham Chapel
Activist Van Jones has been highly influential in various causes, from human and civil rights to environmentalism. His resume includes co-founding three non-profit organizations and serving as Special Advisor for Green Jobs for President Obama.

• Lee

Ugh…Van Jones…poor choice.