Hot Seams: ‘I have nothing to wear!’

| Scene Fashion Columnist

As the Bruce Springsteen song goes, “There was 57 channels and nothin’ on.” How many times have you opened your closet door and uttered the words, “I have nothing to wear,” while staring into a sea of perfectly acceptable clothes that you bought, and at one point, convinced yourself that you’d just die without?

Example: I was in a friend’s room the other day helping her get ready. As she went to open a drawer, she moaned the aforementioned words: “I have nothing to wear.” I rolled my eyes and laughed as I watched her try to slam shut the drawers that were filled to the brim with shirts galore. As I saw her struggling, I realized that it would literally defy science if she were able to shut the drawer, considering the abundance of crinkled-up clothes within. This got me thinking about materialism—well, I’m always thinking about materialism, but go with me here. We’re living in a country of excess. Nothing’s ever enough. And nowhere is this idea more obvious than in the fashion world.

In terms of having nothing to wear, it doesn’t help that the fashion industry provides us with new trends as the seasons change, often leaving us jaded by our outdated wardrobes. Oscar Wilde once said that “fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” We always want the best new thing. We want his Ted Baker Oxfords or her Milly blouse. This raises the questions: Are we ever really satisfied? Is enough ever enough? Do things really start to turn, dare I say it, “ugly” that quickly?

The solution? Accessorize! Revolutionary, huh? With all the fabulous advancements in fashion nowadays, you don’t have to rely solely on your clothes to make an outfit. In fact, if I relied entirely on my T by Alexander Wang tanks and J Brand skinny jeans to determine my outfits every day, I would have a pretty dull sense of style, no?

So this is what you do: Stock up on basics and add some fun accessories to spice up your look. Take a basic sheer tee, for example, and pair it with some chunky earrings one day, a multi-chain necklace or bib necklace the next. Maybe dip your hands in big vintage rings, throw on a fedora, and then top it off with a vest, boyfriend blazer or leather jacket.

Don’t be afraid to wear an outfit more than once. That being said, try to be creative and wear it in a different way—soon you will find that you have the “seasonless” wardrobe you’ve always dreamed of, and will never again find yourself saying, “I have nothing to wear.”