Top 10 spring 2010 trends for women

| Scene Fashion Columnist

Good news, everyone: You don’t have to wait until spring to begin shopping for this season’s most coveted items. Here’s a countdown to this spring’s number one fashion trend:

10. Obviously neutral colors will be back this spring. Just about everyone from Alexander Wang to Acne clothed at least one model in these basic colors. The added touch this season will be your whites and khakis with black sandals. Michael Kors and the designers behind Bass and Brooke were leaders in this modification of the neutral trend. If you’d like to incorporate more neutral shades into your closet, shop for well-made khaki shorts or sleek white pants to give your wardrobe an added touch of sophistication.

9. Sheer. Another trend that seems to make its way onto the runway every spring is back again. Whether found in tights, shirts, vests or dresses, anything sheer should be purchased and worn this spring. Don’t forget, though, that you’re in public. The appropriate undergarments should be purchased as well. Charlotte Ronson’s spring 2010 collection shows how sheer biker shorts can be worn without looking completely naked. For college students, this trend should be considered only in non-academic and non-business situations.

8. The tribal influence is back again. Sophie Theallet is not the first designer to embrace the trend, but she’s definitely my favorite. Whether the inspiration is from the Far East or Southwest, this trend is definitely a hot one to consider, especially if you didn’t try it last year. For those who are trend-averse, start small, with a pair of earrings or a global-inspired bangle.

7. The rock ‘n’ roll/ black leather trend from last season will hang around in the spring as well (yes!). If you’re not ready to don fru-fru dresses, lace and all things girly this spring, don’t worry. Ann Demeulemeester’s spring 2010 collection is very dark and edgy. With creations in only black, white or a combination of the two, this collection is perfect for the girl who doesn’t think she has to wear a bold color to make a statement. The adjustment of this trend for spring is the incorporation of more camel-colored leather pieces into outfits. The models at Acne are a perfect embodiment of the ’70s chic rock ‘n’ roll style for spring.

6. Personally, I believe spring has always been the time to try new, fun prints. This year designers are mixing them in a new way. Duro Olowu, a print maven, created a line complete with crazy mixed prints. This is a trend I am still warming up to but encourage you all to try.

5. Maybe watching Olivia Palermo of “The City” stomp around in platform heels first attracted me to this style of shoe. Either way, they’re going to be huge this season, as designers such as Unique and Versace have featured them on their spring 2010 runways. Remember, practice makes perfect, so test the shoes first and be sure that you can walk in them.

4. I read somewhere that the color for 2010 will be turquoise. This is certainly exciting, but I think coral might just have more of an impact this season. Sonia Rykiel and J. Mendel incorporated this color, as did many other designers, including Chado Ralph Rucci.

3. Hate blow-drying and straightening your hair? Textured/curly hair is going to be very popular this season. All of the models at the Luca Luca show sported curly styles. It definitely gave them a more romantic, playful look.

2. I believe the quote from “The September Issue” went like this: “Ruffles for spring! What a novel idea.” Girly clothing dominated this season’s runways again, however. Ruffles, feathers and sweetheart necklines will fill department stores soon. If you want to stand out from the masses, search for clothing with bias cutouts as well.

1. On that note, ladylike purses are also coming back into style. Gone are the days of baby-smuggling tote bags. I would recommend purchasing a structured bag, reminiscent of the 1940s.
-Stay Stylish, and Happy Shopping!