21 Questions with Barry Bradley

| Scene Regular Features Editor

Barry Bradley

Barry Bradley

1.What’s your name?
Barrett James Bradley, but everyone calls me Barry.

2.What’s your birthday and hometown?
March 22, 1988. Edina, Minnesota.

3.What’s your year and major?
Well, I transferred here, but I’m a senior. My majors are history and economics.

4. Where did you transfer from?
University of San Diego—not UCSD and not San Diego State. I studied history, economics and music there.

5. What did you used to want to be when you grew up?
Originally an engineer, just because I liked playing with Legos so much. But then I took a calculus class and decided on history instead or political science.

6. What’s your biggest passion?
My passions are probably reflected in what I do here on campus. I love rugby and singing and improv.

7. So what are you involved in on campus?
I’ve been on the rugby team for three years. I’ve been singing with the Pikers for three years; I sing bass. And I’ve been in Mama’s Pot Roast for two years. Oh, and I was on this year’s Orientation Executive Board as well.

8. What are two of your most memorable moments from Wash. U.?
My team and I took a trip to Mizzou [University of Missouri—Columbia] for rugby and we tailgated a game and then played the next day. I don’t really think I can go into detail here…but it was pretty crazy. But it was fun. We should do more rugby trips actually…Other than that, I’ve had some really great times on the exec board. It’s just a really sweet group of people—it was awesome. I have lots of memories with them.

9. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I think I’ve got to say pasta or pizza because of the variety, so I wouldn’t get bored.

10. What’s the most interesting place you’ve ever traveled to?
Definitely Germany. There are so many castles there, and it’s just so beautiful. It has such an interesting history too. I would have done a thesis on German history actually, if I had done a thesis. But I didn’t speak German.

11. If you could speak any language fluently, what would it be?
German, but realistically, Chinese. I mean, just because it’s probably more useful.

12. If you could have one superpower what would it be?
I think the power to control time; not stop time, but control it: like pause, fast forward, rewind, stop, stuff like that. But I’d like to be able to operate in the stopped time, because then I could study or sleep and then just resume whatever I was doing before so I would always have time to spend with friends. Also I could be in one place, then stop time and move to another place, and people would be shocked! It’s like teleportation is also included! And you would never have to age. Wow, I’m realizing all the possibilities now. If only…

13. If you were on a desert island with just one person forever, who would it be?
Well, I’d like to bring a dog as well: my childhood dog, a golden Lab named Bailey. But the person is tough. I think I would want to choose a historical figure, but that poses problems because you don’t know what he’s going to be like. I mean, what if he’s a *dick?* Or if he doesn’t like dogs? So they’d have to be a dog person. But there’s also the practicality issue…maybe I should pick a Boy Scout or someone good at camping, you know, for survival. So I think I’d choose Greg Booth, because he’s a nice guy and he’s good at camping. But I don’t know if he’s a dog person. So let’s just assume he is.

14. What is your coping mechanism for dealing with people’s stupidity?
That’s a hard one…It really depends on the situation. Generally I’d either ignore them, do it myself or if it’s something small, I’ll just give in and let them do what they want.

15. Have you ever gotten into a fight?
Just with my sister, but not a real fight. I’ve wanted to, though. I think the closest I’ve been was on the rugby field, but since I’m the president and field captain, I was in charge of breaking it up.

16. What’s the most serious injury or sickness you’ve ever had?
A concussion. It was funny because I lost control of my body temperature, so my body would freak out and think it was really cold and start to shiver. Then I would get hot and start to sweat two seconds later. But the most serious sickness was food poisoning. Actually that was funny too—because I got so dehydrated that I started hallucinating. I was on vacation staying in a condo, and the real-estate agent came by to show it off to sell it, and I started screaming at the person because I thought they were a monster breaking in. My life’s pretty entertaining now that I think about it.

17. What’s the craziest dream you’ve ever had?
I had a dream that I cheated on my girlfriend…but it was with my girlfriend. I mean, in the dream I knew I had a girlfriend, but I also knew that this girl I was with was my girlfriend. I guess I just couldn’t put two and two together. I was with her on a date, and the whole time I was thinking, “This is wrong, you have a girlfriend.” And I still called her by her name—so it was definitely her. And I was dating her, but I still felt terrible. I woke up very confused. That was weird.

18. What’s your most prized possession?
I don’t really think I have one. There’s stuff I like, though, but if I were to be honest, I don’t have one thing I can’t live without or anything.

19. What are you plans after college?
I’m working at the corporate headquarters of Target as a business analyst. Basically I’ll be assigned a group of items that Target sells, and it’s my job to make sure Target is totally in stock. For example, cheese. I would have to make sure that every store that sells cheese has it.

20. What is you biggest life-long ambition?
Obviously being happy, but just being comfortable I guess. I want to have financial flexibility to be able to travel and do stuff like that. Of course it would be awesome to be rich, but I’m going set the bar lower for now, just in case.

21. What’s your favorite spot in St. Louis?
There is a bar called Nick’s on Manchester. It’s a little Irish bar with the nicest people. They also have a great happy hour. There’s usually rugby on TV, too. I started going last semester with friends, and I always have a great time playing darts and drinking dollar Bud Lights and eating 25-cent wings.