Who do you dress for?

Monica Mendal | Scene Fashion Columnist

Evidence shows that there are two types of girls: The girls who dress for men and the girls who dress for themselves.

We’ve all seen the first: the aloof girl who stands by the corner of the bar with her arms folded as she surveys the room seeking attention. Even in the dim lighting, you can still notice her makeup caked on in a way that makes her pores look as though they’re suffocating under layers of product. She’s sporting ripped jeans and an exposed midriff, while strategically showing off her black Victoria’s Secret lace delicates. This is the girl who dresses for the attention of men.

On the other side of the bar, you see a girl who is put-together and poised. She’s dressed in a black form-fitting shift with tights that cling to her body while not even revealing a pinch of skin. She is curvaceous, not stunning, but she exudes confidence in a way that is irresistible. Unlike the previous fashion victim, she leaves much to the imagination. Her aura of mystery draws in a crowd of young suitors who want to know more. This is the girl who dresses for herself.

The girls that dress for men tend to wear a variety of barely-there outfits that all hold the same purpose—to show off as much skin and as many provocative parts as they can without exposing their full naked bodies. They believe that this is the best way to hold a man’s attention. But this isn’t always the case. What these girls don’t realize is that most men prefer a woman who is refined, confident and sophisticated. More importantly, men want a woman who carries herself with respect.

Most girls who dress for men share a certain amount of insecurity. Overloading on makeup is a major indicator of this insecurity because it hides one’s natural beauty. I’m not saying throw away the liquid foundation and walk around au natural 24/7, but good skin care is first and foremost the basis of a healthy, beautiful face.

Revealing too much cleavage or midriff also comes off as desperate and insecure. As the saying goes, “If you’ve got it, flaunt it.” But please, don’t flaunt all of it. As for the matter of underwear, it is called “underwear” for a reason, ladies! Keep it tucked away and at bay.

The girl who dresses for her own approval understands these basic rules and guidelines for fashion and dignity and ultimately always pleases herself, her most valued critic. And as Oscar Wilde put it, “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” With this knowledge, I urge you all to dress for yourselves.