Hot Seams: Flirting with color in your wardrobe

| Scene Fashion Columnist

Everyone knows that blacks, grays and browns are the go-to colors for the icy winter months, and for many of us, wearing anything bright or summery just seems out of season and out of place. Allen Klein once said, “Your attitude is like a box of crayons that color your world. Constantly color your picture gray, and your picture will always be bleak. Try adding some bright colors to the picture by including humor, and your picture begins to lighten up.” If you don’t want to look completely miserable but also don’t want to appear a tad loony and over-the-top, then consider these easy ideas to bring more life into the clothes you wear for the next few weeks.

Colored sneakers

Shoemakers Nike and Converse both sell footwear in a myriad of colors. If you’re a shoe-guy, try buying a new pair in a more creative shade, such as new turquoise hi-tops or Dunks or Jordans from Nike’s Web site, while keeping the rest of your outfit simple.

Patterned masculine scarves

Take a note from the pages of Burberry when it comes to purchasing a winter scarf. Keep in mind that brightening your wardrobe doesn’t automatically imply donning something in neon. If subtlety is more your style, look for scarves with small doses of color to brighten up your attire.

Cashmere sweaters

Right now, major department stores such as Macy’s and specialty retailers like J. Crew are offering sweaters at discounted prices, keeping you stylish without breaking the bank. This is certainly great news for college students. Also, wearing a sweater in a bold color and keeping everything else neutral allows you to stay warm while expressing your personality through color choice.

Colored leather bags

For us girls, adding color to our winter wardrobe is more about accessorizing. Colored leather bags are probably the boldest accessory to wear in the winter, especially if you cover yourself in a black or brown coat. Consider a bowler-shaped bag to look more polished, or a messenger bag for a more casual appearance. For bags under $200, look at the options created by Lucky Brand Jeans. If money is no issue, try Kate Spade’s fall handbag line or that of Be & D.

Bright jewelry

Jewelry should always complement one’s clothing. This month, try shifting the focus from your clothes to your jewels. Statement necklaces were very popular at the end of 2009, and that trend is still very present this year. Stock up on bold jewelry while the prices are low, but only feature one piece per outfit and remember to keep everything else simple.

Jewel-tone lipstick/gloss

Clothes aren’t the only thing to worry about in the winter; it is important to brighten up your look by starting with your face. Plum-, red-, fuchsia- and coral-colored lipsticks were popular on the runways and can be found at Sephora or at any makeup counter. Don’t forget to try before you buy; colors that look nice in the bottle may not necessarily be complementary to your skin tone.

-Stay Stylish!

• http://www.wordsintocolor.com/ Artist

It’s so true that colors have a big impact on our lives, on our mood. As being synesthete I live a life in colors. Synesthesia means that I see colors when I see words and numbers.I transform this in paintings of names and birthdays.