Sextras: The G-spot?

| Sex Columnist

In lieu of the current G-spot-related research in London, I would like to take this moment to address the debate concerning the existence of the female G-spot, or Gräfenberg spot.

Most people know the G-spot as that elusive place inside a woman’s vagina that, when pressured correctly, results in orgasm. In fact, when touched in the right way, the G-spot can also produce female ejaculation, originating from the G-spot directly stimulating the female prostate. The G-spot is known as the point of contact during sexual intercourse that produces an orgasm when the penis rubs against it in various positions. Because the clitoris is an exterior part of the vagina, not located on the vaginal wall, many women claim the G-spot creates their explosive orgasms during intercourse. On the flip side, many women claim they cannot find their G-spot, do not have one, or are not comfortable enough with their internal vaginal muscles to obtain an orgasm from sexual intercourse. The point is, the G-spot is important! It lies in the crux of understanding the female orgasm.

But as I said before, the G-spot remains elusive. Just as every clitoris responds differently to stimulation, and even contains differing pockets of hotspots more or less vulnerable to stimulation and thus orgasm, every vaginal wall responds in an equally different way. This idea spawned the study by Tim Spector, Lynn Cherkas and Andrea Burri of King’s College London. Despite millions of females attesting to its existence, Ernst Gräfenberg’s descriptions, and even the ultrasounds taken by Italian scientists finding thicker areas of vaginal wall tissue “among women reporting orgasms,” Spector, Cherkas and Burri chose to investigate the existence of the G-spot by proving its genetic basis through twin self reports. In this study, the British colleagues concluded that “there is no physiological or physical basis for the G-spot.”

How is one supposed to make this claim when using self reports instead of hard science? To Spector, Cherkas and Burri, the 56 percent of those reportedly having a G-spot had “no detectable genetic influence.” Those females believed to have a G-spot, therefore, only felt this way subjectively, according to environmental factors and random error. Can we deny the existence of the G-spot just because self reports did not prove a genetic explantion?

Yes, the study is interesting, but the amount of publicity surrounding the study that claims the G-spot is a myth seems unproductive. Until there can be studies based on physical exams proving hormonal or muscular response through specific stimulation of various vaginal walls, the G-spot cannot be labeled as myth or truth. The simple subjective 56 percent of females claiming their G-spot’s existence can remain a testament to be further evaluated by scientists.

Personally, I believe there is a G-spot. But it is important to define it as a spot and not as an area. Like the clitoris, it is a delicate bundle of nerves that requires precise care and stimulation to move to an orgasm. Let’s hope we get more than ultrasounds and twin questionnaires to enlighten us further about the mystery of the G-spot.

• http://welcomedconsensus.blogspot.com/ welcomedconsensus

It is so great to see an informative article such as this in a college paper.

We have researched female orgasm for over 25 years and have found that just as engorgement plays a significant role in male sexual pleasure, it is an important component for women as well. What has been named the “g-spot” is simply the underneath side of the clitoris as it forks into the legs or crura. This spot and others called Thunkspots are accessible through engorgement as either leg of the clitoris runs adjacent to the urethral sponge.

Female engorgement is two-fold. There is external, or what is visible including the clitoral glans and shaft, the clitoral hood, inner and outer labia, perineum and anus. And there is internal engorgement including the clitoral bulbs, urethral sponge, the pelvic floor and tissues surrounding the pelvic area. They do seem to be correlated to one another, how engorged she appear externally gives you an idea of how much engorgement is present internally.

If a proper amount of engorgement is created and maintained, all of the Thunkspots are accessible and sensational to the lightest touch.