The Haps: Turkey Day

| Scene Columnist

Say, for whatever reason, you find yourself stuck in St. Louis over Thanksgiving Break. There will be no turkey, mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie and the weekend is shaping up to be just like any other: writing papers, catching up on work and enjoying some time outside of the library. But it doesn’t have to be. Even if it’s not exactly in line with your traditional Thanksgiving protocol, there are plenty of things to do around campus over break.

First off, there’s no need to give up food—you can throw a potluck dinner. Whether you know friends or vaguely familiar floor mates who are still in town, they will appreciate the company and food as much as you. If you’re not comfortable at the stovetop, check out the Internet for easy recipes. I recommend thekitchn.com, because it has plenty of traditional recipes and ones with new twists.

There are also a number of restaurants open and serving turkeys on Thanksgiving. There are more affordable options, like City Diner on Grand, which offers dinner for $15.95, as well as more expensive and classy ones, like Top of the Riverfront in the Millennium Hotel downtown, which has a $49.95 buffet. Many of these places require reservations, so if you’re planning on going, call ahead of time.

You can also go downtown and watch the St. Louis Thanksgiving Day Parade. There are balloons, marching bands and even a visit from Santa. It’s like the Macy’s Parade, but you have the actual possibility of seeing it all live and up close. The parade goes down Market Street and begins at 8:45 a.m. It’s advised however, that you get there early for a good vantage point.

Then, of course, there’s always the chance to start celebrating the holiday season—you know the “big” holidays. The day after Thanksgiving, holiday lights will go up all over town. The zoo, the Old Courthouse and most of downtown are good places to go and check out lights and decorations. The Steinberg Skating Rink in Forest Park will also be open for the great winter pastime of ice-skating on Thanksgiving.

So even if you’re not spending Thanksgiving exactly where you want to, there’s still fun to be had. You can continue to have your food, parade and good times.

Other Happenings:

The Rock-n-Roll Craft Show: November 28, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. and November 29, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at Third Degree Glass Factory, 5200 Delmar. An alternative craft show with innovated local artisans and musicians.

The Fair Trade Market:
November 27-29, at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 129 Woods Mill Rd. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. A Market of Fair Trades Goods selling everything from toys to musical instruments to jewelry.

Guns N Hoses Boxing Showdown:
November 25 at Scottrade Center, 7 p.m. A fundraiser for St. Louis fire fighters and policemen featuring local firemen and policemen as the boxers. Tickets required.