The Haps: Fallin’ for Linus

| Scene Regular Features Editor

There are some things that always equate to a good time: good music, a good cause and an open bar. This Friday, Nov. 13, the Linus Foundation will be hosting its semi-annual shindig that will feature all of these things and might just knock your socks off.

Several Washington University seniors started the Linus Foundation in 2002. Committed to the idea that “every child deserves a security blanket,” the foundation began planning events to benefit children’s charities. Seven years later, the foundation has spread and now has branches in nine cities.

This fall’s St. Louis event is called Fallin’ for Linus, and its proceeds will go to local foundations: Together We Can and Lydia’s House. Together We Can is a nonprofit company working to introduce higher standards in early child education, while Lydia’s House provides housing and support to abused women and their children. The party is being held at Neo on Locust, 2801 Locust Ave., and is open to anyone over 21 willing to buy a ticket. In the past the event has attracted around 600 people—alumni, undergraduates and graduate students, as well as anyone who has attended other Linus events.

What’s so great about this fundraiser? First off, it offers an open bar. To ensure safe travels to and from the event, buses will be running between Brookings and Neo all night. Second, it’s a chance to dress up and feel pretty; the event has a cocktail attire dress code. And last but not least, there will be live music and dancing. This year’s band is Boom, and Josh Dembling, a senior organizing the event, has promised that “they will bring the fire.”

But that doesn’t change the fact that a ticket costs $45 if you buy it before Friday and $50 at the door. While that may be an expensive price, just remember that it helps two great causes: charity and your social life.

“There’s no other way to put your money towards a great cause that helps women and their kids and at the same time have a great time,” said Molly Wyler, a senior member of the Linus Foundation.

While our pockets might not be very deep right now, neither are those of nonprofits. “Because of the recession, these charities are not getting any help,” senior committee member Eric Cohen said. The event raised between $2,000 and $4,000 in the past and, given current ticket sales, promises to be just as successful this year.

The four seniors and five juniors helping to plan the event also guarantee that the cost will be well worth it. “Anyone who’s been to the event says it’s one of their favorites of the semester,” senior Therese Fox said.

If you’re interested in attending Fallin’ for Linus, tickets will be on sale Tuesday and Thursday in the DUC or available online at http://www.linusfoundation.org/events.php. Raffle tickets can also be purchased for $2 at the DUC, online or at the event. Prizes include Blues tickets, restaurants gift certificates and even memorabilia autographed by Kings of Leon.

We all know you’re planning to go out Friday night. So instead of the typical frat party, why not go to Fallin’ for Linus and help out some local charities? That way, no matter how bad your hangover is the next morning, you won’t feel guilty about having had an awesome time.

• Steve Howerton

how much of the money from ticket sales goes to put on the event and how much actually makes it to the charity?