The Haps: It’s just a step to the right

| Scene Columnist

There are few times in your life when you can dress in drag or wear corsets in public without people looking on in shock. One of these times is coming up this weekend, when “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” will be playing at the Tivoli Theatre on the Delmar Loop. It’s been 25 years since what began as a creepy movie you couldn’t watch with your mother became a live, interactive and carnal experience.

This Halloween weekend, the Tivoli is having midnight showings of the movie on Friday and Saturday. Tickets are now available online for $9. Based on the high participation levels, I advise getting tickets now and arriving at the theater early, especially if you’re going with a larger group and want seats together.

If you’ve never been to a showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” here are some things to expect and be ready for. First off, there is audience participation. When certain characters appear on the screen or certain things are said, there are appropriate responses. For instance, whenever character Brad Majors’ name is said, you call him an “a-hole.” These added lines are not complicated and it is easy to catch on.

Second, as an audience member, you can get your own prop bag. Like the added lines, certain props are used at certain times in the movie. At the Tivoli, there are cues that give you instructions. For example, during the wedding scene of the movie, the screen will say “Throw Rice.” It’s all pretty simple. Prop bags usually cost about $5.

Last, the show has a live performance part in which local performers dance, act or sing along with the movie. The finer details and how closely the actors stick to the actual movie are up to them and can therefore vary from show to show.

“But wait a second,” you may be thinking, “isn’t this the movie where guys have to dress up as corset-wearing transvestites? I can’t do that.” Yes, you can. And honestly, you’ll look like a bigger loser if you don’t. While no one is required to dress up for the show, it’s highly encouraged that both genders come in heavy makeup and attired in anything made of black leather, fishnets or feathers. It’s one of the few events where dressing normally will not only get you noticed but probably picked on.

And before you say “Rocky Horror” is not your thing, you should really go and check it out. It’s the type of event where you can really make whatever you want out of it. You can dress full out, dance in the aisle, and sing with the strangers sitting behind you. Or you can wear a boa over your polo shirt and laugh discreetly at everything going on around you. Either way, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is definitely a freak show, but one that’ll have you coming back. Even if it’s just to do the Time Warp again.