#tbt: Wildcard edition

Throughout the semester, I’ve come across quite a few interesting tidbits from StudLifes of yore, from top-hat-wearing Glee Club singers and homecoming queen ballots to crazy kegger WILDs and ads for the South 40 Video Store. But there were also quite a few photos that never made it onto Read All Over. In honor of the last #tbt of the semester, here are some miscellaneous snapshots from the past several decades of StudLife.

Regis Philbin now holds the world record for most time spent in front of a television camera, but you might be surprised to hear that one of Philbin’s first hosting gigs was right here in St. Louis. This 1973 article spotlights the TV personality and his talk show, “Friday Night in St. Louis.”

philbin1973

Speaking of famous faces, Wash. U. engineers were starstruck when Microsoft founder Bill Gates came to campus for a career event in the ’90s.

gates90s

Get read for another tech throwback: This 2000 StudLife article laments the end of free music on Napster.

napster2000

Around the same time, in 1999, the College of Arts & Sciences introduced a new undergraduate major that is now among its most popular programs: Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology, better known as PNP.

pnp99

Enough with the ’90s and 2000s articles; now we’re really throwing it back. Amazingly, Wash. U.’s very first interracial dance only received this tiny blurb in a 1948 issue of StudLife.

interracial1948

Of course, civil rights became a much bigger topic of conversation in the ’50s and ’60s. This 1964 article documents four students’ summer spent volunteering with the Mississippi Freedom Summer Project.

mississippi1964

Continuing with the theme of activism, in 1980, Theta Xi became the first fraternity in the country to sponsor and house a Cuban refugee.

cuban1980