Lunar New Year Festival 2018

Jiyoon Kang | Senior Photo Editor
Dancers perform Watersleeves, a dance which originates from the Zhou Dynasty and is supposed to imitate flowing water through the dancers’ hand movements. Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Dancers perform Watersleeves, a dance which originates from the Zhou Dynasty and is supposed to imitate flowing water through the dancers’ hand movements.

Students from different portions of the LNYF show perform together in the Senior Dance. This year, students danced to a song compilation while clad in LNYF T-shirts.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Students from different portions of the LNYF show perform together in the Senior Dance. This year, students danced to a song compilation while clad in LNYF T-shirts.

LNYF performers do Takeondo and Wushu in the martial arts portion of the show. Performers showed off the power of martial arts while also highlighting its beauty.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

LNYF performers do Takeondo and Wushu in the martial arts portion of the show. Performers showed off the power of martial arts while also highlighting its beauty.

Fusion dancers blend a variety of dance styles, ranging from Chinese fan to hip-hop and contemporary. This year, people got help from others, dancing side by side.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Fusion dancers blend a variety of dance styles, ranging from Chinese fan to hip-hop and contemporary. This year, people got help from others, dancing side by side.

Lion Dance, a traditional dance performed by two-person pairs dressed in elaborate costumes, is used to celebrate Lunar New Year across the world.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Lion Dance, a traditional dance performed by two-person pairs dressed in elaborate costumes, is used to celebrate Lunar New Year across the world.

Dai dance incorporates traditional dances of one of the fifty six ethnic groups in China. Dancers wore peacock costumes, symbolizing elegance.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Dai dance incorporates traditional dances of one of the fifty six ethnic groups in China. Dancers wore peacock costumes, symbolizing elegance.

Dancers perform the Chinese Fan dance at a dress rehearsal for LNYF Thursday. This year’s LNYF highlighted the difficulty of coming out as LGBTQIA*, with a skit depicting a fictional Washington University student who came out as queer to her Chinese parents after going on a date with another woman.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Dancers perform the Chinese Fan dance at a dress rehearsal for LNYF Thursday. This year’s LNYF highlighted the difficulty of coming out as LGBTQIA*, with a skit depicting a fictional Washington University student who came out as queer to her Chinese parents after going on a date with another woman.