DIWALI 2017: A celebration of light

Jiyoon Kang | Senior Photo Editor
 WashU Bhangra dancers perform in the annual Diwali celebration. The theme of this year’s showcase was “The Diwali Files,” modeled after the science-fiction TV series “The X-Files.”Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

WashU Bhangra dancers perform in the annual Diwali celebration. The theme of this year’s showcase was “The Diwali Files,” modeled after the science-fiction TV series “The X-Files.”

The all-girls’ dance group Garba performs onstage. The group performs each year in Diwali.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

The all-girls’ dance group Garba performs onstage. The group performs each year in Diwali.

The co-ed dance group Raas dances at Diwali. The group, which has competed for over 10 years in national competitions, is one of the oldest dandiya raas teams in the United States. Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

The co-ed dance group Raas dances at Diwali. The group, which has competed for over 10 years in national competitions, is one of the oldest dandiya raas teams in the United States.

Students perform a classical dance. In addition to celebrating the annual Hindu festival of lights, the celebration also serves as an opportunity to fundraise for various organizations. Jiyoon Kang

Students perform a classical dance. In addition to celebrating the annual Hindu festival of lights, the celebration also serves as an opportunity to fundraise for various organizations.

Hosts hype up the crowd during the fashion show portion of the Diwali celebration. Ticket sales for this year’s show raised money for the Janta Inger College in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India, and the Shayel Mohanty Patnaik Scholarship, dedicated for students at Wash. U. Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Hosts hype up the crowd during the fashion show portion of the Diwali celebration. Ticket sales for this year’s show raised money for the Janta Inger College in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India, and the Shayel Mohanty Patnaik Scholarship, dedicated for students at Wash. U.

Students in Chahaat, a non-profit, student-run dance group which completes nationally against other universities, performs onstage in Diwali, the largest showcase at Wash. U.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Students in Chahaat, a non-profit, student-run dance group which completes nationally against other universities, performs onstage in Diwali, the largest showcase at Wash. U.

Students perform in the Diwali skit, based on the “X-Files” for this year’s competition. Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Students perform in the Diwali skit, based on the “X-Files” for this year’s competition.