Black Anthology presents: ‘Black and Blue’

This year’s Black Anthology production, titled “Black and Blue,” took the stage this weekend to depict and comment on issues of mental illness, sexuality and race. The yearly production included a skit and emotional dance performances.

Two actors talk to each other during this year’s Black Anthology Performance. The skit, which followed a senior named AJ as she deals with undiagnosed depression, acknowledged the interaction between mental illness and blackness.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Two actors talk to each other during this year’s Black Anthology Performance. The skit, which followed a senior named AJ as she deals with undiagnosed depression, acknowledged the interaction between mental illness and blackness.

As smoke fills the stage, a dancer in this year’s Black Anthology performance lies on the ground as part of her dance routine.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

As smoke fills the stage, a dancer in this year’s Black Anthology performance lies on the ground as part of her dance routine.

A dancer in this year’s Black Anthology performance strikes a dramatic pose.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

A dancer in this year’s Black Anthology performance strikes a dramatic pose.

During one of the dance routine’s in Black Anthology, the dancer strikes a pose. This year’s performance, entitled “Black and Blue,” was the 28th production of Black Anthology and was performed on Friday and Saturday of this past weekend.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

During one of the dance routine’s in Black Anthology, the dancer strikes a pose. This year’s performance, entitled “Black and Blue,” was the 28th production of Black Anthology and was performed on Friday and Saturday of this past weekend.

A dancer in Black Anthology appears to cry out to the audience during her routine. In doing so, she conveys the emotional struggle and hope that African-American students face at college.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

A dancer in Black Anthology appears to cry out to the audience during her routine. In doing so, she conveys the emotional struggle and hope that African-American students face at college.

Members of a Black Anthology dance group go through their routine in this year’s Black Anthology: Black and Blue show.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

Members of a Black Anthology dance group go through their routine in this year’s Black Anthology: Black and Blue show.